Pre Release: A couple little projects

Hey folks, me again. I’ve been trying to stay away from the computer (and the GF) today because I did too much mousing the last few days and my hand/arm has gone all carpal-tunnelly. Not a big deal, it’s already better, just need to take it easy.

I did do a couple projects yesterday and they are nothing special but folks seem to want to see output so I’ll show them anyway. Throw a tomato my way if you are getting tired of them!

First was a practical solution for my husband: a set of templates for punching holes in the card stock he uses to display earrings. We’ve made them by hand using stencil material but they don’t hold up well and are not precise.

I surveyed the “client” to find out what features he might like and what we came up with was a block of 1/8" acrylic that has precisely drilled holes where you poke the pin through. The block is the exact size of the card stock he uses. We also put score lines down and across intersecting with the holes, and one down the center to make it easier to center on the card if it is cut a bit off. The one with four holes is for leverback and similar earrings. He loves them!

edit: forgot to mention the size: these blocks are about 3 cm x 4.5 cm and are made of Proofgrade 1/8" acrylic.

The other project was for my mom. She was over here and I wanted to demo the GF, so we sat in front of the computer and designed it to her specs, using the plaque design from the GF design space, text prepared in The Print Shop 3 (Mac) and Illustrator (SVG conversion), and a dog image downloaded from Google Images. Cut and engraved on Proofgrade maple ply, 1/8". Again, the customer was delighted!

She really enjoyed watching the whole operation.

59 Likes

I agree with your pooch sign. Of course I like cats too. :grinning:

5 Likes

I love the templates. I have a few template projects kind of like that on my Glowforge to-do list.

3 Likes

What a neat gift! Watching it being created is the best present wrapping there could be! :sunglasses::+1:

6 Likes

Awesome! :grin:

1 Like

Two “clients” that you needed to please! Great job!! Keep them coming!!
No tomatoes here! Still to early to plant :sob:

1 Like

I love both things, but especially love how you made the little plaque and I will try something like that. I still use Print Shop, too and I can put it through Affinity and export as an SVG. I’ll always remember how truly enraptured my mother was even into her 90’s (she lived until 103) with the technology I would show her. She would have been every bit that way seeing a Glowforge, I’m sure. What a nice time together for you and your mom.

7 Likes

I use a mouse that rotates my right hand 90deg clockwise for my carpal pain

1 Like

It sounds very interesting! Can you give me a link to one?

Really like the clean and functional design of the templates, and definitely agree with that plaque.

1 Like