Pre-Release | A Novice Tries Engraving

I received a pre-release unit about 2.5 weeks ago. Since then, I’ve given myself a crash course in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop (a complete novice in both).

Seeing awesome engraves in the forum, I decided to try engraving too. After learning how to tweak settings in both Illustrator and Photoshop, I was able to print the item below. It is a picture of a good friend, a local musician.

The engrave is printed on Proofgrade maple plywood. I believe the print took about 1 hour. I simply cannot believe what I can produce with the Glowforge.

98 Likes

Great job and congrats on the pre-release unit.

9 Likes

Great novicing. I just invented that word.

18 Likes

Wow, I really like that.

11 Likes

That came out great!

7 Likes

Looks awesome Rebecca! I’ll bet he loves it! :smiley:

8 Likes

yay!

9 Likes

See rebecca’s glowforge awesomeness. Think I need to check my spam filter just in case. Elation: the junk folder has 6 new messages. 5 are discourse replies from this board (I really need to white list discourse replies) and one is true spam. Deflated.

13 Likes

So awesome! I think I need to give myself a crash course in Illustrator and Photoshop too! I have both software but I haven’t played with it yet.

11 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous! It doesn’t look like beginner work at all.

11 Likes

Every time I sit down to learn more about Illustrator and Photoshop I find myself distracted by something else on the computer that needs to be done.[quote=“rebecca, post:1, topic:5826”]
The engrave is printed on Proofgrade maple plywood.
[/quote]
This really an incredible engraving. Keep up the great work!

10 Likes

Awesome job!! You make it look easy😉

10 Likes

Looks amazing. Very cool to have a glow forge with someone who has to learn most of the software, really a sign what can be done with minimal starting background :slight_smile: (I mean this in a good way…while interested in CAD and having dabbled a bit in it, I have 0 training experience with it)

11 Likes

I hear you! That’s my problem too… I sit down and think I’m going to play with it…and then I end up gaming or do some other stuff… I think the arrival of Glowforge should change that! :grin:

9 Likes

You are giving me hope for decent results. :relaxed:

9 Likes

I hope so!

6 Likes

Definitely. It helps prove one of GF’s major selling points. Gotta make @dan happy to see this :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I really like the way you engraved the lettering for contrast. Nice work with the font choice and joining to the body of the engrave. That font worked well here. And the whole layout is just interesting.

13 Likes

Nice! :heart::glowforge:

5 Likes

Oh gosh, Rebecca! That is really great. I am heartened by what you’re doing…what you’re learning to do…especially since we seem to be in about the same range of experience. Or non-experience. Thanks so much for showing this.

8 Likes