Pre-Release Glowforge: delivery, unboxing, setup, first prints! :glowforge:

Hahaha, no doubt! Congrats on some well-deserved free time!

3 Likes

Thank you…exactly what I wanted to know.

2 Likes

Congrats on your retirement! :wink:

4 Likes

That’s a good question, also. I’ve had concerns about the width of my counter for quite a while and these questions will hopefully put my mind to rest.

1 Like

Thank you. I am having some fun! Don’t know if anything I’m doing with it will transfer to using a laser, but I guess I’ll find out.

Back from hospital. Here are some quick dimension pics and quick exhaust set to prepare to mount print head and get to it.
Got to start new reply. IPhone stuck in upload loop\\\\\\\\\\\ :cat: paws. Ok. Solution is reboot iPhone.

Bottom runner positions. Sorry for lighting. Have fun parsing them.

15 minute exhaust setup. Scrounged cellotex from parishioner. First layer just to get done. Have more to put in and then tape up.

Cut other end off a 32 oz. can of whole tomatoes. 4" exactly.

Punch hole in cellotex

Connect hose.

Connect Glowforge.

Proceed to setup. But last pic is foam packing harness.

Ok. Now to setup. Will video and post to YouTube. Thanks for your support.

Edit: cat very happy I’m home early. Will have to move him.

39 Likes

@marmak3261 you have a rapt audience here at the office as well :slight_smile:

Amazing how Glowforges just don’t get old. Even when you build them for a living it’s still a blast to watch them in the wild.

22 Likes

:disappointed::cry:

1 Like

Any reason for putting the hose in the upper part of your celotex insert? Wouldn’t the shorter run down in the lower portion be less distance & thus more exhaust as well as less strain on the celotex?

3 Likes

One thing that I notice about the shipping box is the cut-outs in the foam where the cardboard handholds fold in, so they are actually useable. This should be normal, but sadly it isn’t always the case.

12 Likes

Great pictorial of the exhaust setup.

Kitty looks spoiled…lol.
Looking foward to your video and “hello world” first project! :grin::grin:

9 Likes

I have the Glowforge on a movable cart and this gives me better access behind to swivel it around and get at back. Like car wash hoses. At least that is the theory.

Also: The table is adjustable in height. I may raise it. I have the hole in the foam set cater corner to the vent outlet on the Glowforge. Once I decide what height and where I’ll put the table, I can spin it and it will be almost directly out, tangential to the window opening.

Here are some setup photos. Opted to take stills because I’m by myself and didn’t want to mess with video. Took about 15 minutes to set up before turning on. Faster if I’d have been more attentive to directions. Mainly orienting myself to the interior.

Print head box with foam layers of cubes.

Fabregé Egg

Take top 7 layers of foam off before attempting to remove print head.

Ok hang tight. Posting this and coming back. Upload stuck.

Hefty for its size.

Front door goes down

Tube clip comes off.

Unscrew and remove gantry lugs. Beautiful fastener.

Push tube back on y axis rail and remove the bearing slippers (cushioning).

Install crumb tray.

Close front door.

Locate print head ribbon.

Match up green dots and plug ribbon in. Nice snap.

Seat the print head in its holder. Note the four detents that the magnets on print head slip into. Very simple and solid. No tools required.

Close lid. Plug it in and switch on.

Then comes setting up wifi. Have Glowforge username and password ready. Have a wireless device ready to connect to an ad hoc direct connection to the Glowforge. Go to wireless device’s settings and connect to the Glowforge. Log into the app and follow instructions. Hey it is connected. Stay tuned. I had to pause this for a while to take care of a few things and try to get set up for first video. So far so good. Stay tuned.

47 Likes

You’re Rockin’ it! Just had a Glowforge drop into your lap, and you hammered out the exhaust solution in short order.
Enjoy your adventure, and thanks for the show!

13 Likes

Works fine. But I had to stop after setup to get the tape around edges. It’s cold tonight and I’m in basement and bare feet.

But I lost a point on my man card. Even though I bought a new utility knife just for the unboxing I didn’t have any duct tape in the house. :flushed: had some wide packing tape. So the air is blocked. Stay tuned.

26 Likes

Oh yes that does cost you a man-point! Chuckle! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Do I even know you? :grin:

14 Likes

27 Likes

I love that show!

3 Likes

Man points hehe funny!

Thanks so much for all the photos and information!!

You are awesome :grin:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed photos and measurements! You have answered a question about my Glowforge table being able to fit the machine, that I have had for a long time. Answer: it will!

9 Likes