Pre-Release | Guardians of the Galaxy

This exercise required both photoshop and illustrator. And this is the highest resolution engrave I’ve done to date (670 LPI).

The front panel is 1/8" acrylic and the back is 1/4" cedar. It was getting late last night, so I didn’t get a chance to make the frame and set up the LEDs.

88 Likes

Lovely work! Very similar to some of the stuff i want to experiment with.

7 Likes

So badass. Mixed material makes things so much cooler! Awesome!!!

15 Likes

Wow that cedar is just stunning! I can’t wait to play with some color inlay on wood.

7 Likes

I love the cedar. I use it all the time for CNC stuff. I love the smell of awesome when it gets cut.

16 Likes

I think this is my favorite of your work so far. Nice work.
I would love to see it edge lit.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the star trek project that wood seems to have been used for too :grin:

5 Likes

Fantastic but I must know how you got the light color for the body of the spaceship?

thanx

Was that wood laminated? The light ship parts were peeled off?

Very inspiring…another todo…thank you.

1 Like

Looks like it may be the masking paper still on the ship after peeling it away from the rest of the surface. I have to say I really like the way it looks with that still on there!

8 Likes

This is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

I think you’re right. Glad that you posted because I was trying to figure it out. I think it looks awesome like that with the lighter color.

6 Likes

I am looking forward to getting my GF so I can work on hickory :grin: Gotta know that smells good!

1 Like

Great to see your combination of layers, materials, and design–not that you aren’t always inspiring. Thanks for sharing this with us!

3 Likes

Love the mixed material design. Can’t wait to see it lit.

3 Likes

very cool. Looking forward to that movie. I especially like the cedar. I like that the char from the etch was dark enough to still give really good contrast on an already dark(er) wood. And I totally agree, cedar just smells awesome. Of course, it also reminds me of the inside of my humidor, so that could have something to do with it :smile:

3 Likes

That reminds me I’ll need to grab some cedar planks or shingles from Home Depot/Lowes next time I’m there just to have something to experiment with. See what I can do with it for future real projects.

That’s the advantage of winter here - don’t do much motorcycling so it gives me time to play inside :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Literally just watched the trailer for Guardians 2 for the umpteenth time and popped over here to see this.
Amazing. Both apart and together they are awesome.

4 Likes

WHOA!!! SWEET!! I love the engraved wood behind the engraved acrylic! Never would’ve thought of that and it looks so incredible!!! Can’t wait to play with this kind of thing myself!!!

1 Like