Pre Release: Journal Cover

Cool that the Glowforge has so many ways to get to a great result. It allows people to realize and implement their ideas using the design tools that they are most comfortable with.

4 Likes

I thought about doing it that way but the OCD in me wanted every hole to be precisely the same.

Actually, for the journal cover and the earrings I did in another post, the way to go would be to design it in F360. Then you could alter size and spacing of holes parametrically. I think I will work on that. Thank heavens for the tutorials by @markevans36301 and @jules!

5 Likes

Inkscape does a clone and tile option that I’ve used to some degree of success, once I figured it out. I like the clone so that I only have to change the size of one hole and all the others change. This works for something like the holes in acrylic for roller skate bearings, which I’m working on to get press fit just right.

I’ll have to do a template for the comb binder I have. Great inspiration!

4 Likes

I’m glad I’m not preaching on jealousy in the morning. I’d have to be the first to confess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All of your initial projects are just wonderful!

8 Likes

This is a great idea! Adding this to my list of custom Christmas gifts as well as creative gifts for clients. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Holy crap!! So much love for this

5 Likes

Your efforts certainly paid off! This looks fantastic!

4 Likes

This is magnificent! My better half has a walnut-and-leather journal cover that’s stitched awaiting assembly, but this is so much simpler and every bit as elegant.

12 Likes

We’d love to see it!

5 Likes

That looks fantastic!

@cynd11 It’s a good idea and great design/implementation.

As a quick test I pulled the red cover off of a $3.97 Walmart notebook. Scanned it, loaded it into inkscape and after minor squaring of the holes, pumped it out to the Glowforge. Slapped the crumbiest, cheapest piece of MDF on the bed (without bothering to mask) and added an image I already had in the design space. If I had the time and extra Proofgrade it would actually look decent. Didn’t need any wire coil or punch.

26 Likes

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I’m sure my wife would love something like that for her running journal.

4 Likes

Well lookie there! How cool!

So I’ve been curious about this. Were you able to simply re-shape the vectors of the scan in Inkscape? Or did you need to create new holes and just plop 'em down over the existing ones and turn off the existing ones?

1 Like

I started to reshape the rectangular holes, then just decided it was easier to trace a box of the same size, copy and paste, and delete the original squares. Took about 3 minutes.

5 Likes

The little Airstream looks great on the cover!

4 Likes

That’s what I would have figured. I’m sure these things become far more obvious when you’re not just theorizing. :wink:

1 Like

Gorgeous!!! What a keepsake that will be

1 Like

This and @rpegg notebooks are quite nice! I’m hoping I can engrave on this notebook:

http://www.michaels.com/artists-loft-fundamentals-sketchbook/10187456.html?mkwid=s4oCeoofU|pcrid|102013289952|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|prd|10187456&cm_mmc=zadv_PLASearch--google--All+Products-_-All+Products&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=All+Products&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=s4oCeoofU|pcrid|102013289952|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|prd|10187456

At the very least, I’m going to cut some vinyl decals out and slap them on the cover! In my favorite color, ORANGE!!

3 Likes

Not sure on the engrave - may work but if it’s like the linen on hardboard(thin), it may fray. The GF would definately work on making a stencil to then make a design with a fabric paint. (did that using silhouette to cut stencil on a gift once).

2 Likes