Pre-Release | Mutsuki's Bee

I glued everything together. The only somewhat loose areas for me were the wing connections and one leg connection.

Looks fantastic ! I like the dark edges on this design. Would be interesting to make the wings out of some acrylic and put the led’s under the thorax piece so the wings would be “edge-lit”!

3 Likes

That really is nice work.

1 Like

Un-bee-lievably good.

7 Likes

If you used the fluorescent yellow, you wouldnt need the LED’s unless you want it lit up at night, otherwise the Fluoro edges kinda self-illuminate.

2 Likes

A Bee, huh? Hmmm
Reminds me of a twist on an Isaac Watts poem that I loved so much as a child that I remember it still.

The Bee

How doth the little busy bee?
He doth all right it seems to me.
Each shining hour he improveth
By being forever on the moveth.
And by telling us with a fiendish buzz,
Not where he is, but where he was.
To those he loveth, joy he bringeth.
But to those he loveth not, he stingeth!

9 Likes

Curses BEE upon you ma’am. Now I wonder if there is a GF’anonymous I can attend. (I’m jonesing here) ha

3 Likes

In the most noble realm of GF projects…To BEE or not to BEE – that is the question…

5 Likes

Is there a word for laughing and groaning at the same time?

4 Likes

Groaughing?

4 Likes

Sure, lets go with that :slight_smile:

I’m Groaughing again now!

2 Likes

I love this, Rebecca! So glad you showed it to all of us.

2 Likes

So cool! I really am looking forward to seeing an acrylic-inlay version… so cool!

1 Like

Oh yeah. Inlays on the wings and other specific spots! Love that idea

And very nice piece overall @Rebecca! I think it turned out great! Especially for a first try :wink:

2 Likes

yes Facepalm

2 Likes

That came out just lovely!

2 Likes

That is gorgeous. I am a beekeeper as well. I am always on the look out for honeybee associated objects.

Thanks!

4 Likes

What kind? I used to keep Buckfast bees (from R Weaver’s). Really nice producers and not aggressive at all.

1 Like

I have had good luck with Carniolan VSH. They seem to do pretty well with our wettish conditions here north of Seattle. I lost my one Top Bar Hive I set up last year. My Langstroths had a great run last summer. I would call them moderately aggressive. I do sit out right beside the hives and observe for long periods. They don’t seem to mind.

Mike

4 Likes

With the kids growing up & all their friends I went for low aggression. The buckfast were also mite resistant and pretty decent producers. Sometimes a little tricky to overwinter because sometimes they’d go too small on the brood going into winter - fine line between efficient brood size and too small for survival.

3 Likes