Pre-Release - Sea Scene

My girlfriend was really curious about how well the glowforge handled grayscale engraving, so we wanted to try to see if we could get everything into one file and how that would work out. Can it do vector and raster in one file? Turns out it works great!

Here is the original drawing she made that I took a photo of and pulled into illustrator

I applied a compound masking path to it and copied the path to serve as the cut line to give it a bit of a border

I saved it as an SVG, imported it to the GF UI and it engraved the drawing in greyscale mode as it would if you imported an image otherwise, and then cut it out. No hitches.

Heres the final result:

95 Likes

Wow! Just wow! :relaxed:

5 Likes

neat!

4 Likes

Omg that definitely sells the GF a bit more

8 Likes

These types of projects (engraved illustrations essentially “die cut”) are one of my favorite projects for the Glowforge. Maybe more so because I could not draw to save my life! Very nice!

10 Likes

That is so beautiful… would be awesome in edge lit acrylic!

21 Likes

oooooo… I might have to revisit this… good idea!

10 Likes

I really like the way she did those waves.

11 Likes

Thanks man! Me too! Shes a pretty talented artist. Shes definitely going to put the trace function to much better use than I ever could.

17 Likes

That is really an outstanding drawing and fantastic result, keep up the great work.

4 Likes

This is too amazing.

4 Likes

Lovely work!

4 Likes

Fan-freaking-tastic!!! :yum:

3 Likes

Thanks for the experimenting and documenting. :smiley:

4 Likes

Fantastic. Just brings the art to life. :grin:

3 Likes

I actually thought that feature didn’t work yet. So I’m doubly delighted to see that. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

That’s fan-frickin-tabulous!!!

7 Likes

This is amazing and makes me very excited about some of my projects. I’m not nearly as talented as your girlfriend, but I have a number of drawings that I want to convert over to engraves when I get my forge. It sounds like it will be a fairly painless experience.

4 Likes

Very cool. Looks like I need to learn some basic Illustrator :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! You just seriously amped up my excitement level for the GF!

2 Likes