Pre-Release | Structure

Over the weekend I scored an new iPad Mini in trade for some IT work. I didn’t really check what model it was until I got home (Would have done it for free- but they insisted). Then I realized it was better (newer) than the iPad I already had. In which it had a iSense (a rebranded occipital structure) strapped to it. I temp connected the scanner to the newer iPad and immediately noticed the performance difference between the two.

When I got the iSense- I got with the the mount for the iPad I already had. Welp. You know where this is going sooo… let go to the pictures.

Since I wanted to get fancy with it- I decided to make it a ‘multi-material’ project.

1/8" Proofgrade Clear Acrylic & ‘Dark Blue’ ABS (3D Printed)

You guess it- Fusion 360.

I modeled up the iSense and used a stock model for the iPad Mini and designed around that. I measured the distance between the onboard camera and the scanner from the pre-made mount and incorporated that into the design.

Once I got the layout the way I wanted- I exported a sketch of the mount as a DXF and imported it into AI.

Quick google search and I found the logo. Then reversed it so the engraving would be on the inside. While I was at it, I decided to add a couple pockets to the screws holes so they can be recessed into the acrylic.

This was done by removing the stroke around the outer hole and filling it with a color.

On my first attempt the tolerance I allowed for the sensor was non-existent- I made a quick change and ran the op again (7mins). While that was running I went ahead and export the model so I can start 3D printing it.

35 mins later it was done.

I ran the calibrate app to adjust the camera offset. And surprisingly there was none. Yay for precision.

So in sheer excitement I did a quick scan of the glowforge.

72 Likes

that turned out fantastic! How snug the fit from the 3D printer parts? I’ve been sersiously considering a iSense how do you like it? How nasty is the model clean up if you wanted to scan something and then use it in fusion to design around? :squee:

4 Likes

Pretty snug. I only use the scans as a reference. It’s mostly used for designing things that fits in other things that have odd shapes. The other task is to scan parts for furniture and cutting them out on the CNC. Saves a ton of CAD time.

As for the scanner- I love it. But once again, I use it as a reference tool.

4 Likes

Awesome. Were those beveled countersunk screw holes I saw in the acrylic? If so, I’m super excited.

6 Likes

My current work flow for designing something to fit around another something is graph paper calipers and a ton of time getting all the measurements just right then converting that to a CAD model. Takes for ever and gives mixed results on anything with a curve. If the scanner is dimensionally accurate then it would be worth it just to not have to do all that prework

1 Like

You’re killing me :sob:… I want my GF :glowforge:

Seriously, looking forward to more of your projects!

3 Likes

I have one as well and I use it for custom fitted cosplay gear. Armor, helmets, etc. you’re not going to get fine detail with it, but it will pick up enough to get a good idea of body shape and limb dimensions. I have a couple photos you might be able to see

26 Likes

That might just win the very-cool-nerdy-excitement quote of the day award! I love being part of a group where countersunk screw holes in acrylic are something to get happy about. :squeeee:

13 Likes

This is very relevant to my interests. Seems like a worth while investment

1 Like

The software is free, and the sensor is basically a repurposed kinect. You can probably find one of those much more cheaply, and will work almost exactly the same.

10 Likes

I’m so jealous, I’m trying to talk my boss into upgrading the Ipad I have for the Structure sensor. I know I’m missing a lot of upgrades and usability, but most of all there are really cool new apps that I can’t get on the one we have. nice job on the new mount, looks great!

1 Like

Oh I already have a Kinect floating around. New weekend project

2 Likes

Counter sunk holes were definitely the “com’on are you serious” moment of that post!!!

3 Likes

This turned out great! Ive been considering making one for my phone because its more powerful than my older ipad. I might just attempt that soon now.

3 Likes

Just shared this with our friends at Occipital and they’re just as impressed as I was. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Nice!

I use mine to scan body parts to make wearables :slight_smile:

I’ve also used it to put myself and friends into HoloLens. Between the Structure/iSense, Mixamo, and Unity, I could get a person scanned, animated, and holographic in < 30 minutes. I love tech :smile:

11 Likes

Looks great! And faster than ordering a new bracket. :slight_smile: Love the acrylic + blue. Is that ninjaflex or regular filament?

1 Like

That sounds fun! I have not yet played with mixamo, but have played with unity a bit.

We go to a lot of cosplay conventions, and sometimes are asked to scan people in their costumes to be sent to shapeways for figurine printing.

I haven’t ever attempted to bring a person into unity before, but now I’m wanting to. I’m curious as to how mesh deformations will look with big clunky costumes. Sounds fun! Especially coupled with VR.

4 Likes

This is incredibly useful. Given most of my 3D prints are based off anatomy, I bring 3D scans into OnShape all the time to give me reference sizes. (although my scanners are a tad more expensive $1m-$3m - CT, MRI or PET/CT) but same concept. Bring in a polymesh, and then use that as reference to base a real geometric CAD model off of. In Fusion you can convert them to spline objects, but I’ve never needed to do that.

For example we are doing some test silicone molds using the 3D scan (CT Angiogram) of the right femoral artery, and needed a simple box (sorry no countersunk screws holes @cynd11, but I can add one with a click? Actually I cheat all the time to make “christmas tree pipe fittings” with the countersink CAD function); this is because the “real” model takes 7.5L (yeah, liters) of silicone which is super expensive for a test pour. This model would have been almost impossible to do with calipers (the ends of the vessels need to glue onto the edges with pretty high precision to stay water(silicone)tight…

Definitely a skill to learn in how to repair 3D scans (even our multimillion dollar 3D recon software produces bad geometry!) and then base CAD models off them.

10 Likes

I use itSeeez3D to do head scanning as it was the quickest, and as long as there is a face to start tracking, you can pretty much track anything (I’ve scanned a friend’s sleeping infant in his car carrier and it worked great, including the carrier).

If you flip the iPad into portrait orientation, the app will do full-body scans, but they are much more tricky to get right, and you need a lot of space with good ambient lighting. You also need to be able to get overtop, which might be hard with some costumes. But when it works, you get decent models with great textures.

It’s really fun to see scanned friends jumping around, dancing (even twerking :astonished: ), or doing some video game-like action move using Mixamo, in our out of VR/AR. It’s also fun/weird to walk around yourself in AR (“is that what my hair looks like from the back?”)

Back on topic, it would be nice to have a bracket for the bottom of the iPad that attached to a monopod (or a stick), to help scan above people or things taller than the scanner (which happens to me all the time since I’m not the tallest person :slight_frown:)

9 Likes