Print time increased by 300%

My print time on a saved print that had before today had a run time of 1 hour 4 minutes inexplicably increased to 2 hrs 44 mins. I’ve checked the settings and nothing has changed, everything is exactly the same.

try reimporting it and see what happens.

1 Like

I refreshed, and reimported 3 times. Shut off and restarted the glowforge and the same thing.

Hmmm perhaps an “UPDATE” wasn’t necessarily an “UPGRADE” in the cloud activities.

hopefully the staff will roll past soon and help you out.

1 Like

Offtopic, but technically it increased by 156%.

It increased to 256% of the original time.

But yeah, 300% is close enough shorthand, people probably knew what you meant :slight_smile:

That aside, back on topic:

You say:

Are you going by glowforge PG setting name? It seems to me that the issue is settings, it is not related to server performance. Glowforge can and does change the settings that back up the proofgrade options. HD engrave today is not guaranteed to the same HD engrave tomorrow. Engraving settings got a fairly major adjustment a little while ago, when was the last time you ran this job at the faster speed? If it’s proofgrade settings, the changes I’m referring to happened in December or so.

If it was more recent than that it might be a sign that they modified them further.

2 Likes

This design has manual settings, and it’s always the same. I ran it last thing before I went to bed, and then went to run it this morning exactly the same and it changed. The server hiccuped running the design and froze which makes me think it’s something on GF side. I’ve probably ran this design 500 or more times.

Is there an engrave that is rotated from before? Aligning long runs with the fast laser direction vs the slow direction can impact total time

3 Likes

Is it a vector file? Maybe glowforge changed the way similarly colored vectors are grouped in engrave actions?

This is the second post in this forum today about job time increasing at the same manual settings, and I saw it reported on Facebook as well. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that there’s a legitimate, new bug on Glowforge’s side.

1 Like

Just curious, have you tried running it to see if it actually takes that long?

I was away all day and Ijust reloaded the print upon coming home and it’s back to the normal run time. Weird. I think it was definitely something GF was changing.

Hello @mccormickmary82, thank you for reaching out about your print time increasing. I’m glad to hear its back to normal now.

I’d like to have our team take a look to see if we can narrow down on a possible cause. Could you please tell me when the two prints were run and what the “normal” settings are? Once we have that information, we’ll pull the logs files and investigate. Thank you!

It’s the Buffalo/Bison print. I didn’t actually run it with the longer run time. I have 25 of these to do in the next couple of days and it was giving me a run time of 2 hrs 44 minutes, which is untenable. The normal settings are full power, and 1000 or 1200 speed (I can’t remember which I used more recently, they don’t make that much of a difference time-wise), 220 lpi and vary power, maximum quality. It usually take 1hr and 4 minutes or less.

Hey @mccormickmary82, thank you for that information. This is an absolutely gorgeous design!

I went back through your print logs, and I’m not able to locate any prints that show a 2 hour duration. Even if you end up canceling the print, the expected duration time still gets recorded in the logs, and the longest I found was 1 hour 5 minutes.

I did notice that you successfully ran the design today with normal print time. At this point, it looks like this might have been a one-time discrepancy. If it comes up again, please let us know the date and time of the print and we’ll pull the logs for review.

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer right now, but we’ll keep investigating should it happen again.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

2 Likes

That is a good point. I ran an engrave two nights ago that gave me a time of 3 hours and 57 minutes. It actually only to 57 minutes.

2 Likes

I would love to see a picture of your project. Bison are so majestic and beautiful.

This is by far my best seller.

21 Likes

I can see why this is a best seller. It’s absolutely beautiful. :blush:

Those are absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing them. I have a neighbor that has some and I drive by daily just to look at them.

3 Likes

That’s such a beautifully detailed engrave! Lovely work.

1 Like