Printed powertool replacement part

We borrowed my brother-in-law’s table saw and the blade guard (hanging on its last string) finally broke.

Couldn’t return it broken, so we printed a pristine, personalized, punny piece!

35 Likes

Great job! I think that’s a golden rule, right? Leave things better than you found them?

3 Likes

Absolutely. And having the laser made it fun rather than stressful trying to find parts on the web.

1 Like

Brother-in-law is probably going to start dropping off all of his tools now! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Perfect!

I needed a sled for a particular job, and figured I’d use that as an opportunity to buy one from the popular woodworking supply store - until I saw the price! To get that particular job done, I used scrap ply and lumber to glue up what I needed, but I immediately started working on a design for a laser-cut version that will be better in many ways than those store-bought parts, using scraps or cheap sheets of acrylic. Saving money every day!!!

(don’t anybody point out I’m using a $6k tool to save $40 on a $75 item!!!)

5 Likes

What a great save! I don’t know what the piece is used for, but if it gets a lot of stress it may break due to the brittleness of acrylic. If it does, you might consider making the next one out of Delrin–that would hold up really well.

3 Likes

You say that like it’s weird or something. Perfectly sound thinking from my point of view

7 Likes

Yeah. He saved $40 - that’s a lot of lattes. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m glad you understand :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most tools pay for themselves over time. I’m not sure the Glowforge will, but there is definitely something to be said about making exactly the part you need rather than having to buy a manufactured product that may only be “good enough”.

And not having to shop is priceless.

1 Like

Seems to me like you’re making money on the 151st item.

5 Likes