Printer head hits the right wall

Hello, my printer head has been hitting the right wall when I place a cutting path close to the cutting limit on that side. It’s a problem I’ve been having since I got the glowforge and I had assumed this was a software issue that would be fixed, but I just read this post:

httpss://community.glowforge.com/t/alignment-print-head-hitting-the-far-right-wall/18834/8

This seems to be a more serious issue that is specific to my machine. What should I do?

~Pat

With alignment being what it is for people, I’m curious how close you are placing your work to the boundary? The common issue most of us have is that the further from the center you are, the further the alignment is to being true. So if you’re too close to the edge of the printable area, then it stands to reason that you’re actually placing your work in the out of bounds area, but the camera is not relaying that to you within the UI.

For me, when placing artwork to the left of center, I’m gauranteed to engrave further to the left of where I “placed” my work. This goes vice versa for the right side, of course. The further from center I go, the more I notice the variance, so slightly left gives me a slightly off center print, and if I’m close to the edge, I can be as far as 1/4" which is crazy, but I anticipate this.

If you could screenshot the after image of a failed print with your artwork overlaying the engrave, that would be helpful as well. You definitely aren’t the only person this has happened to, and both support and the forum members may have suggestions on what you can try to remedy your particular problem.

At this time, one is able to place artwork in every part that the app will allow. The app knows the physical/mechanical limits of the machine. The camera preview is just for human operators. So there is no place where the app will accept artwork that should cause this issue.

It sounds to me like something isn’t aligned or moving properly. In other words, the motion planner thinks the head should be in one location, but it’s actually in another. In this case, it thinks the head should be slightly more left than it is. At least that’s my guess.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’m sorry your prints haven’t been turning out quite right.

Would you please try the following:

• Reboot your Glowforge.
  • We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard on the far right side of the bed, as close to the edge as possible.
  • Let us know how it goes by including a photo of the print in your reply.

Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.