Printing my pets name on a flat rock

Okay Morgan,
Ran it as it was placed by program on Proofgrade Draftboard. It printed right in the middle of an unused piece I had. Turned out fine but sure did put out a lot of smoke. And Yes, I do have it vented…permanently through my studio wall to the exterior by a professional.
So what next?

Well I guess you can see from the logs that I Printed JACK on the stone…so I have gotten that far

@screamingcocka2 , Thank you for running that test print for me. The logs from the print show that everything completed as expected, no focus errors on that print. That is great!

As for the smoke you noticed during that print, it is common to see smoke when printing. When your Glowforge is properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: Excessive Smoke or Fumes During Print.

I did see that you were able to complete the Jack print on the stone. I noticed that you had to make a few attempts at it because the stone was too low in the printer bed, but you were able to solve that by raising it up a little.

I am noticing that you still run into some focus trouble when printing on non-Proofgrade material. Whenever you want to work with non-Proofgrade materials, its best to use Set Focus on those prints.

The Set Focus target will allow you to select an area to take a precision measurement of the material’s height using the red dot in the printer head. When using Set Focus, place the focus area on the material, so it’s not near an edge. Then go over to the Glowforge and watch to make sure the red dot hits the material. That should resolve the focus trouble you’ve been experiencing.

As for the placing the design in the workspace, you are absolutely correct, you should be able to select the design and move it anywhere you want on the material. Have you had that issue with all of your designs or just the Gift of Good Measure? If its all designs, could you please load a design and then send me a screenshot? Could you also please send a screenshot of the greyed out menu options?

Once I’m able to see what is on your screen, I’ll be able to provide some advice.

well here comes a laughable question…How can you take a screenshot on your pc?

Shift command 5 - outline the area you want, choose capture on a Mac. For Windows How to take a screenshot on Windows 10 computers: a guide

Hey @screamingcocka2, that is not a laughable question at all.

To take a screenshot:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.

• Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

1 Like

Thanks guys…I had just realized that I had never screenshotted on a p\PC or MAC before!

Hi @screamingcocka2! I’m glad to hear @dklgood and @MorganW were able to help with some screen shot instructions. We’ll look forward to any screen shots to help if you are still having any trouble with the Glowforge app menu options and moving designs. Thank you!

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.

1 Like