Printing with Glowfriends

Yeah maybe…I’ve always had the pro version of windows so it comes with that function…

It’s not an all or nothing situation. Adding a new vector is still an additional security risk. You don’t ignore this because you decided to stick some stuff on the cloud already.

No interest here. You can cloud print with a traditional printer now, and i’ve never met a person who used the functionality for anything other than pranks. If someone wants me to print something they can send me the file, I don’t need them having quasi direct access to my printer/network.

2 Likes

I’m pretty ignorant how the whole cloud system works, but would allowing for this enable folks to illegally share purchased files? As in, one person buys from the catalog and then sends it to a dozen others? There might be a super easy way to counteract that, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind.

1 Like

Very good point…but no diffetent than someone sending in a file…through email…

Here’s how to deal with this “security” issue. Can we stop arguing about this absurdity now?

Username has sent you a file to print. Print file?

[yes] [no] [block user]

10 Likes

Simplest solution:

Keep the Glowforge turned off when you’re not actively using it. You know, save some power.

Any incoming files have to go through the GFUI at some point, I mean you can’t run the GF without going through the UI and any incoming files would have to be accepted by you.

2 Likes

I imagined that the sender would have access to the GFUI. So you would put material into the forge and press the button then see what would come out.

I can see how it can be a security risk but if the GFUI is through the cloud anyway how is it that much more unsafe to access it from a machine outside the location of the GlowForge. And I like @takitus idea about whitelisting friends or the yes no block option.

Not yet, but it’s something we’re thinking about - we’ve heard from families, makerspaces, and others that they want multiple Glowforge accounts on one Glowforge printer.

11 Likes

Very true. I know it can’t be stopped really, but having it be super easy enables people and makes it more likely. I don’t know if it’d be a huge issue, it was just the first thing that popped into my head. Not that I would know anything about file sharing or torrents or anything like that though lol :innocent:

1 Like

Maybe something like NETFLIX, having one main account with sub-accounts but each with a password of its own.

18 Likes

Hahahaha best graphic ever!

2 Likes

Cloud print at work is absolutely fantastic. No more mapping printers, adding drivers etc. Just print, go to printer and swipe your badge and out it comes. Any printer on any floor/building/office, anywhere in the world…
As I have only 1 printer at home, no need.
I could see multiple user accounts as a good idea.

4 Likes