Pro Only - Passthrough Alignment Jig Templates 🤔

This is absolutely great but I am having the stupids pretty bad so could you take it down to bullet points for me on using these? I have the concept of indexing, it is the specifics of what you are doing that is getting me. Do you score these onto your work? Print and cut out? Hey, I said I was having the stupids. THANKS

2 Likes

Congrats on finally getting your pro!

5 Likes

Absolutely…I’ll be glad to show a few examples later tonight…it’s ridiculously simple to pull off with the files. (Hubs just got back after a week in Dallas again…got to feed him first…I’ll load it later tonight.) :grinning:

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m looking forward to trying it when I get my Pro. Definitely bookmarked, and thanks for the file!

1 Like

I have a major overhaul of my comic convention booth planned which necessitates the use of the pass-thru slots so this will be a major boon. Thank you!

3 Likes

Okay Bullet Points:

(going to demo in Illustrator again, but it should work the same in any drawing program):

Everything starts in the file…say I want to cut a 12 inch oval frame

1. Draw a 12 inch high oval in Illustrator and use Offset Path to create a smaller center oval.

2. Cut the ovals exactly in half, using the scissors tool on the side nodes. Make the top two halves one color, and the bottom two halves another color.

1. Group the top two halves together, and the bottom two halves together.

2. Use the Align to Bottom on both groups to align them at the base.

PT test d

1. Draw a couple of indexing marks out to the side. (Use a different color.) Align one to the top with the other groups. Group that, and then align the other one to the bottom.

PT test e

1. Save the SVG. When you open the file in the interface, you would just align the index marks on the file to the two 6 inch marks on the jig. They are exactly six inches apart.

Make sure you tape the jig to the tray, and have it sitting flush against the slightly raised lip at the edge of the tray. You’ll feed the material flat along that jig.

1. The order of operations is:
  • Set cuts to ignore.
  • Score Index Marks. (Adjust the alignment against the jig)
  • Cut top half ovals. (red)

Pause, open the lid and shift or slide the material up so that the bottom index mark aligns with the the top 6 inch mark on the jig. Make sure the material is flush against the jig.

• Cut bottom half ovals. (black)

And that’s about it. If you had it split into thirds, you’d need to score the Index marks again before cutting the bottom third ovals, and when you are creating the file you align the top third to the bottom, and the bottom third to the top. (Follow the geometry.). The method is extremely accurate. :slightly_smiling_face:

30 Likes

This is super useful, @Jules! Thank you so much!

4 Likes

I don’t have a pro, but I’ve been wanting to make some internal guides since I got the machine. This is super cool for those with pros!

Also, looks like your camera is needing a wipe down - I wipe mine down once a week or so and I’m always surprised by how much more clear it is when I do :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow, this is really cool! Thank you for sharing!

The pass-through slot was one of the big things for me. I really hope they add the functionality soon!

So, with indexing, and without a lot of extra work, we could do something with a single part size of about 20x19

1 Like

Thank you so much @Jules. I am trying to work this out in programs I use now.

1 Like

And for the truly precision-driven folk, create and engrave and use a Vernier Scale as well to make sure your alignment is spot on.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks @Jules! well done.

1 Like

Your knowledge is so helpful. Truly appreciate you. Thank you very much. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congratulations!

Even without the Pro that technique is going to be useful for some people. We’ve got about 6" of physical space in back past where the working area ends.

2 Likes

Bookmarked! Thanks @jules!

2 Likes

Got it to work! It’s great :star_struck:

Trying to align THIS mess by eye would have been a disaster. This is right before I hit PRINT on the 3rd section:

Only had one little hiccup - on the 2nd cut even - turns out the crumb tray can sat in the grooves where it lives with quite a bit of wiggle room.

After i wiggled it a bit, it looked like this for the 3rd cut:

8 Likes

Awesome result! Thanks for posting it! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your tutorial! Maybe it’s really late and my head’s not thinking properly, but what if I have a triangle that I’d like to cut and it’s measured at 19.45 tall? Where would I make the index marks?

Cut ten inches from the top of the design.

sorry wrong picture

1 Like