Pro Passthrough Release

I too struggled with snap marks in a similar manner.

I have been testing the pass through. When it works, it is magical. When it fails, it is frustrating as heck. I end up with a lot of re-trys, which one can try to their heart’s content. Eventually on some of these, I conclude that it has failed and will not get there automatically. One saving grace is that it does allow you to manually align when the auto alignment fails. Of course, manual alignment is not ideal, and can fail as well. So, for me, more than a few wasted parts, and a bit of wasted time.

Is it crazy to want it to work in the way it was described when I bought it.

When I read:

I get a sinking feeling that I have a machine where it will not work constantly. Auto alignment is not auto slicing and hope for the best. My hope is that we can get to a place through software or hardware changes where all pro machines can successfully use their pass-through slot with auto aligning software. That day is not today.

1 Like

Yes - we did communicate to everyone before confirming each pre-order for delivery that this feature was not a part of your product after all, and might never be. But we’ve been working on it ever since anyway.

That’s our best case, but we know we can provide auto-slicing to everyone.

4 Likes

Incentive to buy a Pro model now :smile: I have been seriously considering a second unit and probably will go with Pro.

3 Likes

As you can see with the examples above, some users with a Pro went epic in the trials.
I had no large design to attempt and only one chunk of board handy that I could call large, so I just took the largest project I had completed and went for larger.

The original tower was max sized for a Pro bed (19ish inches)…
The large one was on a 32 inch board I had laying around.
It went very smoothly, and several updates have been made to the process since, so Happy Trails.

10 Likes

Very nice! I submitted my application and am anxiously waiting to see if I get selected … :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

And now you know why my Antique Fan project went silent. My brother @timjedwards was beta testing this feature and I wanted to do it on his machine instead of piecing it on mine. That was early in the testing, though, and we ran into some problems. Now that it’s working well, COVID has kept us from trying again. SOME day, I will get it done!

2 Likes

I was not a pre-order but ordered early 2018. I bought with the impression this was included. I received no communication about it not being part of the product nor was I granted an opportunity to withdraw my purchase after being informed of this change in policy. I cannot find a notice of this change or a notice of this policy in writing anywhere a purchaser might find it on your site at the time I purchased my forge. If you have proof of such a notice or communication to purchasers such as myself, please share it.

Why would I think it was included? The software support of passthrough was listed on the GF website at a date very close to my date of purchase. the wayback machine shows this content as recently as Janurary 2018. That would exactly be when I was considering / making the purchase.

If some machines are capable, a clear explanation of why it is not working reliably on other machines and a description of the plans to provide this feature for owners of such machines or other mechanism to make such owners " whole" is requested. We all bought the same machine but what was delivered is clearly not the same, machine to machine. That is not the fault of the purchaser.

12 Likes

While there was talk of things that couldn’t be done right away, and may never be possible, it would truly be a bad faith move to now attempt to claim that because of that, some people won’t have it without recompense.
Let’s say you explicitly did state it was removed as included an I just don’t recall.(There were a lot of updates back then.)
Given that as of January 2018, it was listed as an included feature, I can copy my confirmation email from 9/4/17 that says nothing about no passthru software would ever be available to my unit or partially available to some, but not others due to changes you may make in what’s supposed to be the same unit you sold to someone else at a later date.

Think you need/may want to make some clarifications here.

7 Likes

Did I miss a comment somewhere? I don’t recall them saying that it was to be a paid feature.

2 Likes

Yeah, nobody said they would charge for it.

The issue appears to be that not all machines are technically capable of it, possibly due to the head or macro cameras not being able to pick up enough detail.

2 Likes

Eehhhh. Yeah. My bad…imma change that.

1 Like

I wouldn’t waste time worrying about it until you find out it flat out doesn’t work at all on your machine. :slightly_smiling_face:

I got my final unit a couple of months before you received yours, (November 2017), one of the original production units, and it works brilliantly on my unit. Absolutely perfect as a matter of fact.

I think the point Dan was trying to make was that even though they didn’t have to do it, they did it anyway. (And they didn’t have to. I kept the letter.)

Just try it out before worrying about it. You might be very satisfied.

4 Likes

Not real big on anyone implying that the company was still working on the pass thru with some noble motive. If the company didn’t have to, it was just a legal technicality. Nothing ever has to be delivered if the option to get money back is there, or we accept delivery knowing it doesn’t work as advertised. The email you mentioned pointed to a web page that described what was working or not working at the time. The pass-thru was listed as “to-do” and the specs still had the automatic pass thru S/W listed.

This horse has been beaten to death. If folks wouldn’t continue to sugar coat stuff, I won’t feel obligated to salt it.

7 Likes

And if folks would quit salting it, I could move on to other things, because I realize I no longer fit here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Everyone is entitled to live his/her life in whatever state of mind they choose, but when I see folks scared for no reason, I’m going to point out the obvious.

Which is:

We are getting the passthrough software, which is what we wanted. It’s time to sign up for it and test it. Then decide if we are going to be disappointed for the rest of our lives or not.

I’m not going to be. Whatever they come up with next is gravy, and I’ll look forward to seeing it. And I think the whole team has just performed miracles over the last couple of years, and I hope they continue to thrive in the laser world.

I’m sure I’ll be very impressed with whatever they create next.

6 Likes

Great that your machine works perfectly. I am thrilled for you. You got what everyone though they were buying.

The issue is that it does not work reliably for everyone. I, for example, am more likely to encounter the need to retry often and manually align about 1/2 o the time. Manual align is not perfect and has a tough time getting the angle right is it is not perfectly square to the machine (which can happen on a previous auto align). This makes the prospect of wasted time and wasted materials, and wasted tube life very real to me. Thus, I hesitate to use the feature and often spend additioanl design time working around the size limitation or end up accepting smaller than desired designs. I worked hard during the beta to make sure they had data from my machine to work with. I feel let down by the position they have taken.

You seem to feel this is not big deal for those afflicted. So, care to swap machines?

And as far Dan not having to get this done, given that it was advertised at the time I bought my machine (I did not pre-order) and I received no letter or email or other communication on this, I think they have a fairly clear obligation which cannot be erased by changing the website content post-facto or offering auto slicing ( which fails to deliver the core promise).

2 Likes

It’s different than snapmarks. For material you do a single pass on, then I agree it is better than snapmarks. Snapmarks allow for pass through jigs and I haven’t identified a way to do that with the beta pass through software.

For what it’s worth I have the second Pro known to be delivered to a customer and while I haven’t used my unit much in the past two months, this feature worked within my expectations last year.

2 Likes

To me it is a company run by decent people. Would gladly have a beer with the folks that work there. But it is a company. It has profit motive. It does what it does for long term survival.

I have intentionally never said anything negative about the company even during the worst times, but I also won’t say anything positive that isn’t clearly an opinion or based on the unit I have in hand. That’s because I don’t have first hand knowledge about their operation, staff, priorities, finances or schedules.

4 Likes

I will quit discussing this when my machine works properly with this feature. I am not scared for no reason. I have a legit issue that you seem keen to gloss over. I get it, you got yours so the rest of us should accept our fate and be quiet. I am sorry but that is not an attitude that is aligned with the overall vibe of this community.

It’s not a paid feature. We’ll include auto-slicing and, when possible, auto-alignment on all pro units.

We’re not actually sure - that’s what the beta will help us determine.

Indeed, we’re going to do our best to do it, and make it reliable for everyone. We’ll do our best, and we don’t know what the outcome will be.

Regarding the website copy, I’ll take a look because it’s very possible you’re right and left incorrect information on the site during some period. I know it’s not there now, and wasn’t there when we shipped, but I’ll take your word that it might have appeared somewhere in between.

That said, it really doesn’t matter from a practical standpoint, since we’re going to continue to work hard to make it work for everyone we can anyway.

9 Likes

Look, I think my glowforge is a great product. I’m happy lasering and I get good service. I’m also glad I get some updates on the software side. Being cloud service and all. But when I bought my glowforge in oktober 2015 passthrough software was a thing. When the hardware was shipped the UI software was (and I think still is) still in beta. There’s probably a good insured reason for that. It’s spring 2020 and now passthrough software is presented as a new free software upgrade? You already sold that promise in 2015. Together with all the models in glowforge marketing video. And what $200 nobody outside the US could spend… I don’t think Glowforge as a company is fair. I think their product is great and I’m still glad I got this one instead of a K40 or Muse. But I lost faith in what should’ve come after loooooong ago. (say winter 2018/19, 4 years after I initially bought/ backed the machine)

2 Likes