Pro Shields prevent front door from closing

So the GF has to pump a column of air/gas/particulate vertically in order to vent it?

Yeah Iā€™m wondering if it has something to do with the length/shape of the run. Mine runs straight out a window about 8" away, just a mild bend, and I havenā€™t even installed weather stripping like I had in mind.

1 Like

Why is your Glowforge so clean!? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The important question is, Why is it not turned on and running something? :smiley:

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking. My vent outlet is a little lower than the outlet on the GF so gravity works in my favor while the unit is running, and no residual stuff can flow back into the GF after itā€™s done.

3 Likes

Same here. Flow is down and out. (Might make a difference.)

1 Like

Hereā€™s a tip from an old (former, volunteer) firefighter: when you are removing smoke from a structure, it is common to place a fan to blow air in and push the smoke out of the structure. FD have big gas powered fans, that typically get placed back aways from a door. I remember in my training them talking about how if you had a fan right in the opening that there would be a lot of circulation of air back around the edges. For this reason, when I was ā€œfixingā€ my ventilation issues, I spent some time to place weather-stripping around the edges of my window vent.

3 Likes

Guys,

Thank you for all the great feedback but this thread has gone way off topic. I was aiming to discuss the Pro Shield not allowing the door to close.

There are a ton of threads talking about venting, can we please get this post back on topic?

Donā€™t mean to be a blunt, just trying to solve a problem Iā€™m facing.

Thanks again for everyoneā€™s help!

2 Likes

Yep, sorry about that!

It seems the tolerances on the screw attachment holes (on the shields) are a bit tight so they may leave the bottom of the shield closer to the tray lip - Iā€™d be more inclined to run a file through the shield holes so I could raise it a skootch vs modifying the tray.

I believe there was one post of someone placing the shields on incorrectly but the rubbing seems like a little lift of the shield as a result of making the holes oblong vs circular could give you the extra room you need.

Thanks for the input @jamesdhatch Iā€™ll give that a look. Because the screws that hold the actual rubber gasket over the openingā€™s have corresponding holes drilled in the shield plate to allow it to sit flush. In order to achieve the spacing I need I would need to redrill those as well.

Rpegg replied earlier in the thread, stating that GF sent him a new shield which leads me to believe this is an issue GF is aware of. I tried taking his suggestion to the GF and it was still not enough to get the door to close.

Not to get back on venting, but I discovered my error. When I cut my foam board that fits in the window with the blast door in it, I had cut it by hand and that little deviation allowed the high winds outside to push a ton of that exhaust back through the gap into the house. Iā€™m cutting a new one this weekend, in the meantime a piece of masking tape across the gap fixed it perfectly. Still smell the machine if I am in front of it working (as I would expect to) but cannot smell it 3 rooms away anymore. :slight_smile: ā€¦ As usual ā€œUser Errorā€! LOL

1 Like

I know they will be shipped later, but I was just wondering when. I have an estimated delivery on my air filter, but not on the shields. I hadnā€™t heard they were now coming with the latest Pros.

Also, I vent mine up my chimney so I am guessing that is not an optimum set up, but it works well enough with duct tape on the pass through.

My original Pro didnā€™t have the shields, I never had any issues with anything breaching the pass through slots. My replacement pro had the shields installed, and the front shield prevents the lower door from closing all the way. Tried loosening the captive screws and also tried scooting the tray back, but there was no wiggle room with either. It does look like there is room for the shield to be just a pinch slimmer, which would probably give the needed clearance. For the moment Iā€™m just leaving it off.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know about this and Iā€™m sorry for the frustration.

Could you take a picture for me that shows the complete front door (open) with the pro shield installed?

I see you already emailed us about this and weā€™re working on it there, so Iā€™m going to close this topic.