Problem of scale on cut parts

I have to chime in here that it’s waaaay too easy to resize things in GF by mistake. I’ll click my item, see the 4 way arrow, try to move it, and it resizes. This happens to me all the time, even though I’m being very careful about it. Thank goodness for CTRL Z ( or Command Z).

Is there any way to make the “move” and the “resize” functions more separate?

2 Likes

HUH? I don’t understand this comment - does it have something to do with the original issue? Is it something I should know about and be doing if I’m going to use AI???

Anyone?

When you save things as SVG in AI, make sure the “responsive” box is unchecked. Otherwise it will result in altered sizes from what you expect when you bring it into the GFUI.

Saving an SVG from Illustrator. The Glowforge recommendation is to Save As (not to use Export; I do and it works fine, but I set up a custom export). So:

File > Save As > Type File Name and then Save

Then it brings you to the SVG options dialog box. You’ll want to click “more options” and make sure your screen looks like this:

SVG profiles specifies the SVG specification/version and associated features and syntax. There are other options in here designed for different use cases. You should just be using 1.1 though.

Fonts > Type: Convert to Outline - you have the option here to use Convert to Outline or SVG. Convert to Outline will automatically convert any text in your document to outlines, which is required for text to be recognized and worked with on the Glowforge. The other option, SVG, uses font files which has a host of problems in this case.

Image Location > Embed - you can choose to Embed any raster images or reference the external link. For the Glowforge, you’ll want to embed the image rather than link to it. Link to it is useful for web design, and keeps the SVG file size down… if you link, Glowforge will prompt you to upload the artwork anyways, so it’s just an extra step.

CSS Properties: I use presentation attributes. Style attributes is also fine.

Decimal Place: I use 4; 3 is fine. This specifies the number of decimal places and determines the accuracy of size and position… If you’ve made a box that’s 3.712" square but decimal precision is 1, then the SVG will just say the box is 3.7".

Responsive: As mentioned above, this removes height and width attributes from elements. This is a web display option. It lets the elements resize to the SVG container or view box. It does wonky things and WILL resize your elements. Don’t use it.

All the other boxes: not checked. Not needed…

1 Like

Thank you all for your help.

Thanks for the feedback on the app! I’ve shared it with the team.

If you have any other questions or suggestions, please post a new topic.