Problem printing a bunch HELP HELP HELP

Hi!! I am used to print in this same type of hardboard. This time it’s even the same piece. Same everything!
I printed 4 with no problems. When I printed 40. Not a single one cut to the end! :rage:
Any advice?!

2 Likes

The first thing I would do is clean the windows and lenses (don’t forget that one on the inside left of the machine). It doesn’t take much smoke accumulation to start affecting the ability to cut through.

5 Likes

Depending on how close it got on the far side you may be able to sand it a touch and have them fall out - or use an Xacto or equivalent to pop them out.

2 Likes

Yes I cleaned :persevere:

1 Like

Exacto will take forever. I will try sanding.
Thank you.

1 Like

Also I did four more after the 40 and they came out good! So I don’t think it’s dirty lens

2 Likes

Likely there’s something in the hardboard in the large section…voids, or thicker glue.

In the future do not pull your material from the bed until you’ve verified that the cuts come out! If you use something (the honeycomb hold down pins are perfect for this) to hold down your material you can use tweezers or tape to pull your cuts out - if some of them don’t come out, close the lid and run your cut line again (do not move your design even if it looks off!)

2 Likes

Great advice! It took 1 hour to do that. :tired_face:
Sanding did not work unfortunately. Makes it flimsy.

3 Likes

I am using the same board and doing small batches and it’s working. That has to be something to do with printing the 40 together.

3 Likes

I often use that same tempered hardboard, and your cuts look a bit dirty. Is your lens in upside down? Cup goes up.

That material tends to be very self-consistent but thickness can vary between batches. Bumping the power up isn’t a crime. :grinning:

Oh just saw that small batches work. Hmmm

1 Like

Hi! Just read your comment. What you mean by

2 Likes

Lens upside down? I wanted to clean my lens but the tool has a metal piece missing. So I couldn’t take it out.

2 Likes

You don’t need the lens removal tool to take the lens out. Take off the top of the printhead. Remove the mirror and see if it needs to be cleaned. With a qtip push down from the top and push the lens out. Be sure to catch it or have it land on something very soft. Clean it thoroughly and return it making sure the cup side is up in the printhead.

2 Likes

So your magnet ring broke… If you’re feeling adventurous (or cheap):

2 Likes

Thanks; it’s an answer worthy of being bookmarked.

@priscillabulhoes mine broke a while back, and just about that time someone recommended a drop of CA (cyanoacrylate, ie SuperGlue) to secure it. No problem since then.

Does your batch cutting generate a lot of smoky residue? It may be that it’s interfering with the lenses’ ability to do their job, even if they are clean. (I’m grasping at straws here, but there’s something that’s interfering with your cuts!) Also, does the cutting error happen anywhere else but there? Can you make a single successful cut in that same area?

Another thing: I once had a file that worked great except it burned up the edges in some small parts. Turned out I had ‘double’ or ‘triple’ images underneath and they were all being cut. In that case, it’s the file that’s the problem. If not, I’d suspect that area of the board as being the culprit.

PG material is pricey, but makes for consistent lasering in all parts of the board. PG is not always available or practical for your use, so the suspicion about material tends to be at the top of my troubleshooting list.

If you find out why it happened, please post the solution. Our cumulative knowledge goes up every time something occurs and gets worked out.

@timjedwards That’s hilarious! Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Hey! My IG friend!!! Well I certainly know you are knowledgeable on using the glowforge. Your lens could have used a cleaning possibly but it didnt look upside down. You are in the beyond the manual section and so you can post your settings.

In my experience, printing 40 together would only effect it because the actual duration of the print. If the GF cuts a material and it is let to sit for a little then the material gets sticky back with the hosting material (you can tell I do more engraving then cutting with my cleaver terms :slight_smile: However, I do also cut a bit so I know my way around that some). Are any of the photos of the back of the material? Did the back show the material has cut through?

1 Like

Hey guys! Hope you read this message. My printing is shifted to the right. A lot, as you can see in the picture. It was set to print in the blue corner.

I tried to do the calibration but when in reaches the far right it keeps printing in the same spot as if it was still going right. Any recommendations?

Turn the machine off. Open the front door and remove the honeycomb tray. Look underneath the carriage as you gently slide the printhead all the way to the right and back to the left. Anything unusual or impeding the movement? Have you removed the belt to clean the air assist fan? Any chance you put it back on with a twist in it?

Yes took all the carriage and belt. It looks like it’s sliding smoothly.

So it slides all the way to the right and left when the machine is off? If so, make sure the belt is clean and without debris stuck to it. Make sure the rails are clean and debris free. Put the honeycomb tray back in and turn the machine on. The calibration photo you shared suggests something physical keeping the head from moving where it needs to go.