Problem with cut lines not being recognized in GFUI

I have printed several projects. But I have ONE that is kicking my rear!! It was a free dice tower file, and I’ve added artwork to it and laid it out so that only one line needs cut between items, and saving space on the material. I cannot for the life of me, get the GFUI to understand the cut lines on this one.

Is anyone willing to grab my file and see what they can make of it? I think the more I try, the more I’m messing it up. :cry: The blue and the grey photos are to be engraved, the green to be cut.

DiceTower.zip (4.1 MB)

Your problem is duplicate lines. You’ve got multiples of the same line laying on top of each other - one green, one black, which the :glowforge: will always ignore.

Quick example:

1 Like

DiceTower

I think I got 'em all, but you’ll have to re-add your art (the community strips bitmaps out of posted .svgs)

Also I note it’s huge. Now, you may have designed it in something other than Inkscape - but it’s coming up like 15" tall

3 Likes

sheesh! it was doing this to me before i traced over the lines though! I’m dying to understand why some things work and some don’t, but this,… i got the file, scooted the items together, so there wasn’t space between, and even deleted lines so there wouldn’t be two passes on the cut… it only offered engrave even then. :roll_eyes: I’ll get this down sometime, dang it.

Thank you, deirdrebeth! you’re a RockStar! :heart:

Have you gone through all the steps in the First Prints section at support.glowforge.com - it is a really good walk through of exactly how and why things work the way they do.

If it’s only offering engrave then it’s a bitmap - if it’s a vector it will default to engrave if it has a fill, but you’ll be able to select all the other options.

3 Likes

Deirdrebeth, thanks! There’s so much info, in so many places, and I just haven’t found them all yet. Besides trying to learn the software at the same time that I’m learning the Glowforge… lol I’ll check that section and study it! Thanks again, so much for all your help.

I did get the Dice Tower done, but I’m not putting it together until I glue some felt onto the “steps” inside and in the tray at the bottom to help make it quieter when I do get it put together.

Rae

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! Thanks for the information @deirdrebeth! The Learn by Doing tutorials is a fantastic resource! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

2 Likes