Problem with non-profgrade materials

I dont seem to be able to use non-profgrade materials, i keep getting “chose material
or specify material hight” and i dont know what to do.
I feel like an idiot. :frowning:

1 Like

No reason to feel like an idiot. They have it cunningly hidden :slight_smile:

Check the top left corner (see pic below) and either choose one of the proofgrade materials (you’re allowed to lie to your GF) or enter a thickness for your material where it says “use uncertified material”

I frequently choose “Thick Maple Plywood” when working with 1/4 inch Baltic Birch

8 Likes
  • Click on the rectangle that says “Unknown”
  • click on “Use Uncertified Material”
  • measure the thickness of your material, including any masking you may have applied. This needs to be an accurate measurement. Easiest to use digital calipers.
  • enter the thickness in inches as a decimal value. E.g. if your material were exactly 1/8” thick, you would enter 0.125 for the thickness.

This value is used by the Glowforge to properly position the image of your material on the screen in your browser and is very sensitive to tiny measurement errors. So if you enter the wrong value, your design will print shifted significantly from where it displayed on your screen.

6 Likes

Thank you! I had totally missed that!
Yet i have seen the material there when using proofgrade, big “DOH!” :smile:

4 Likes

Believe me when I say this is not the first or last time you will hear this on this forum. Ask me how I know…:smile:

5 Likes

The correct term is “DAMHIKT.” Pronounced dam hicket.
Translation: Don’t Ask Me How I Know That

5 Likes

I didn’t know that there was an acronym for this. I’m filing this away in my head as, well, most of the stuff I know that others don’t…

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!