Problems cutting thru 1/8" acrylic/plastic

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please do the following for me?

1. Send a photo of the the printer head lens after completing steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping.
  2. If you’re using magnets to secure material to the crumbtray, please try removing or repositioning them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration
  3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

I’ll look forward to hearing back with any photos and confirmation of completed requests to help me with any next best steps. Thank you!

Hello Brandon,

I heat the ticking noise everytime I send a job and when it finishes, also when I do the set focus (it its like ticktick tick… tick… tick… tick). Sometimes It just ticks for a long time and several times and what is when I clean everything again (eventho I clean the machines and lenses all the time) and then turn off and back on the machine then it set focus ok for maybe an hour then it goes back to the same issue. The ribbon is connected properly (it clicks). I have done this several times. Pins are not bent…

I dont use magnets, only custom pins made out of acrylic

I just cleaned everything, turned machine off and it was set focusing “ok”, now after a few minutes (3:36pm) it is again shooting the red laser beam twice (this happens when it doesnt set the focus and throws the message to restart browser and machine)

Sometimes, ONLY SOMETIMES, I can make it work if i set focus across the bed where it couldnt focus but sometimes that doesnt even help

Medium Draftboard not cutting all the way thru for the 6th try. 5:00pm texas time. This machine is not right!

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like