Problems Cutting Today

Hi - Is anyone else having issues cutting wood? Everything in my unit has been cleaned. It was cutting PG and non-pg fine last night. For some reason today it appears to be underpowered and not cutting all the way through. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Frequently depends on the wood. What are you using?

Medium PG maple plywood and 1/8" non pg walnut ply. I tried two sheets of PG, neither cut… the back side of the wood almost looked like dotted lines. Both designs / SVGs are ones I’ve cut may times over.

Support generally will ask you to print the gift of good measure on the provided extra sheet of draftboard and post pics of the result. It’s possible your tube or power supply may be failing.

Edit - this of course assumes you’ve followed the troubleshooting steps on the page for Cut Didn’t Go Through Material.

Did you take out the lens to clean it? Double check it is back in with the bowl side up.

I know support doesn’t like for me to bring this up, but measure the thickness of the wood with digital calipers if you have a pair. (Yes even the PG stuff.)

The default focal point is set for 0.125" thick, but humidity does a number on wood over time, and I’ve had it be as thick as 0.147". When that happens, the default settings are not going to make it all the way through, and you have to adjust for it. (Either by slowing the speed by about 5 to 10 points, or cutting a second pass. Slowing the speed gives a better kerf.)

Real Life 101. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Wow! The two pieces of PG I’m working with are at .152 and .150 and my non pg is at .149. So right now it looks like my Speed is 168 & full power on PG maple. So you suggest i drop the speed down to 158 and give that a go?

Yeah, maybe even 155 for that. If you don’t get all the way through, you can step down 5 points at a time until it just cuts all the way the way through.

Humidity is a royal pain in the tush. :smile:

No good! I did 2 passes at 145 and it still didn’t make the cut. I did a Gift of Measure… same deal (pics attached…) I just opened a support ticket. Thanks for the input everyone!

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.