Production settings

Is there any way (now or in the future) to set cut parameters like speed, power, etc. directly within the .svg file instead of manually for each job/layer within the GFUI? Or to have certain layer colors or names correspond to certain settings? This would be extremely useful in a production setting.

I’m sure this has been asked/covered before, but I didn’t have much luck searching for it.

1 Like

There hasn’t been much airplay on this suggestion, I can only remember one brief time span long ago when this was discussed. But because the Glowforge is aimed more at hobbyists (although many of them could take advantage of this) and not at production houses, it will probably appear far in the future, if at all. This is not the only request that would specifically benefit production houses that has disappeared into the ether.

You are not the first to ask for it, but don’t hold your breath. For better or worse, the company philosophy appears to be drawing a hard line between The Design Side and the App Side, as well as simplifying things as much as possible… and then a little bit more. :wink:

Short answer is nope.

Long answer is nope, and yeah it’s been discussed and suggested in the forums before. It’s a double edged sword, for sure, one size definitely doesn’t fit all. I’m not sure if they’re working on it, we’ll just have to see.

To clarify, I have a project in mind that would require >300 of a similar part, with the same settings, but slightly different artwork for each. Automatically having the appropriate layers in each of these files assigned to the proper operating parameters would save me a lot of time. So it’s not really production, per se, but still, would be a nice feature! @dan

You’re aware that you can save custom settings and apply them with a click in the UI, right?

It’s not color mapping like you’re asking for, but it much faster than inputting manual settings for each job.