Proofgrade and non proofgrade settings walk-through

Hey Everyone!

As some of you may know I have started creating glowforge walk-through guides. I noticed a lot of increased questions about how to set and use Proofgrade and non proofgrade settings in the UI itself like what score, ignore, how to use custom material, why alignment is off with custom material, etc… So I put all the info I could think of on the top of my head into my latest video:
https://youtu.be/v_oPMGv-jRg

Feel free to follow me on there with the subscribe button as I will be adding more walk-throughs every time I get a chance.

I hope this helps someone both new or old to the glowforge. Let me know what you guys think and if you like the walk throughs or not.

26 Likes

This will be a great help to people, thanks! I’ve moved it to the Tips & Tricks section for you.

1 Like

Thanks, I was going to put it there originally but I thought only regulars can view there and thought it would benefit newer people too. Is that not the case any more?

You might want to have the machine on and showing the material, and perhaps doing a cut to show the results of a setting or different settimgs.
My experience is that the main time you want dots as opposed to variable or pattern is when there is a very thin surface that removal makes a mess. A good example is Lauan plywood that the surface wood is less than paper thin and there is very different wood underneath so only scores or dots do not make a mess.
Variable when it is a vector area will just be the lpi and so plain like a bit of wood burning if the speed is high and the power low. A 75 lpi will be a series of horizontal scores that can work in some cases better than dots as well. The lpi will also set the side of the dots.

You also might note that unless you have called the thickness as higher than it is the effect is the opposite of what you show, if the piece cuts more to the center of what is planned at least you have the piece cut out, but if the piece cuts a few millimeters beyond the material it can only be a mess. For this reason I have an electronic micrometer that will get an extra decimal point when measuring thickness even though it is useful for only that.

Only regulars can post there, but everybody can view there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh nice thanks

Yea I will probably do another video with it on and the cut and engrave. one of my first videos I did an overview of the whole process but my audio was a little off on that one due to a mic issue.

1 Like

Thanks for doing these. One more place to point people.

1 Like

No problem. Hopefully it helps cut down on repeat questions too

1 Like