Proofgrade materials without finish?

Not sure if this is the right place for this post

All of the proofgrade wood materials have a finish on them. Any chance we can get material that is as high-grade as the ones GF sells, but without finishes? I would like to stain and otherwise do treatments. The wood is pretty, but feels like a countertop, which isn’t always desirable.

14 Likes

I love prefinished :proofgrade: but I agree that on occasion it would be nice to have the same QC on unfinished woods.

8 Likes

I use a lot of proofgrade, plywood included, but find that at times the finish is a little too “perfect”. I use 1/8" plywood from Johnson Plastics (http://johnsonplastics.com/). It needs to be cut down slightly to use in the GF, but has been very consistent over several orders. I especially like using the mahogany. Sometimes I add a finish, sometimes not. They also have faux wood sheets at a reasonable price. I end up putting my own masking on them using vinyl masking.

5 Likes

Seconding that request.

There have been times I’m grateful for the finish, but others where I want to integrate some Proofgrade into my own materials (usually veneer inlayed into a chunk of my own walnut), and want to apply my own finish to both for consistency. It would be great to have the option.

3 Likes

Since were making a wood wish list, more variety plz! I’d love to see Alder as an option.

2 Likes

I like the finish on Proofgrade better than some of the Johnson Plastics finishes, but I do like their unfinished laminates and woods. And their customer service is outstanding. I highly recommend them.

3 Likes

Another wood source is Cards Of Wood. They sell printed wood items, but also sell sheets of unfinished wood 2-ply veneer and 1/8" plywood. The nice thing about their plywood is that it is 12"x18", so it doesn’t have to be cut down to fit in the GF like 12"x24" does. https://www.cardsofwood.com/product/wood-panels/?attribute_pa_full-sheet-size=18-x-12&attribute_pa_sheet-thickness=18

5 Likes

Thanks for all the material suggestions! I’ll make sure the team gets them.

2 Likes