Proofgrade Sample Pack Questions

proofgrade

Hi,
Got the email saying that the free $150 worth of Proofgrade material was being shipped. Here’s the list of included items:

Your first shipment contains $150 worth of hand-selected Proofgrade materials, including:

Four 6"x12" sheets of Medium Maple Hardwood

Four 12"x20" sheets of Medium Maple Plywood

Two 12"x20" sheets of Medium Draftboard

Two 12"x20" sheets of Medium Clear Acrylic

One 12"x20" sheet of Walnut Veneer, with 3M tape

One 12"x20" sheet of Maple Veneer, with 3M tape

Two 5"x10" sheets of Natural Leather

We’ve also added a third sheet of Draftboard beyond the $150 worth of starter materials, at no extra charge.

It’s being shipped to a US address and I’ll be driving down to pick it up with the GF when it arrives. UPS tracking says there are two packages in the Proofgrade shipment. So far I’ve only seen people saying they got a single box, so I’m wondering why there are 2?

Second question has to do with the value of the materials. I was preparing an order in the GF store and something about the total made me wonder… so I added up the list above and it only comes to $138. Don’t like to complain but I’d like to get the full value of what is being promised! Anyone else checked the total? (or maybe it’s my math that needs checking :wink: )

John

I only received one box of proofgrade material. Not sure why they would separate it into two, but maybe it’s for weight or packaging reasons? The weight of the boards in mine popped the air pillows. Or it could just be a tracking error. The proofgrade stuff ships from… Tennessee, I think. The glowforge is shipped in two boxes, and comes from California.

I didn’t add up the value of the proofgrade stuff, but the total value might be including the cost of shipping. The materials are pretty heavy.

plus shipping (you get it shipped free over $100) & you get a 10% founder’s discount :slight_smile:

That right there.

Yeah, I suspect the number of packages (2) is an error.
The value discrepancy doesn’t arise from the Founder’s discount. Adding the items in the list above to the shopping cart totals $138, and it then shows the discount below that (-$13.80) for a total of $124.20.
Did PG sample packs at one point contain more walnut and cherry than the single piece of walnut veneer in my list? They are more expensive than maple, which would account for the difference.

My take on it? The $150 cost estimate for the PG sample packs was based on a “best guess” as to what these items were going to cost, before they even started full production on them. (April 2016)

Fortunately for those of us who intend to continue to purchase these items, the cost is less than what they estimated, going forward.

Be happy. That’s good news. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Forge usually comes in 2 boxes (the unit and the accessory box), but there is only 1 ProofGrade sample box.

When you declare everything at the border, you’ll only want to declare what you paid for the forge. The value of the sample, the store credit and Inventables gift card are all components of the cost of the forge.

If you bring the receipt for the forge and pay the full tax (assuming you’re a Canuck, no duty is due), you can bring the customs receipt with you when you pick up your other materials (still not shipping to Canada) and they will consider it duty paid. You should have documentation (emails, etc) from Glowforge showing that you didn’t pay extra for these materials.

I’m researching and will be in touch when I learn more.

Thanks Rita :smile:

Thank you for writing in. Fortunately, the materials we sent are the right ones. Unfortunately, I’m sorry to say, the email describing your Proofgrade materials was incorrect. I apologize for the confusion.

There are two boxes in your shipment because we’re sending both of your Proofgrade Materials boxes now.

I’m going to close this thread, but please let us know if you have any other questions.