Proofgrade settings, Loud noise and running but not doing anything

My glowforge was working great. I turned it on tonight and it doesn’t want to read the proofgrade material tag. I select the material but the settings are all very low power and low speed. They aren’t doing anything. I tried to adjust to my own settings but still nothing.

It then started whistling real loud like it was about to take off. It looks like that may be that I have to clean the fan and filter connections, which I will try.

I then took the ear saver template from GF and it says bitmap cannot cut only engrave. I don’t understand. I am frustrated.

A .jpg, or .png image will only engrave. To cut you need a vector image(,svg). If you see an image that is an svg it will have thinner than usual lines and when you download it by Right clicking and downloading and you will see if it comes as svg or jpg,

For the settings issue, I’ve had this happen before. Clearing cache usually helps.

For the whistle noise, definitely do some cleaning. Usually loud noises are fixed with a good clean, from my experience.

For the ear saver template from GF, have you made any accidental edits? You can always reset the design to make sure you have the original file, and then make sure you have the right score/engrave/cut selected for the item.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble with your Glowforge. I’ve extracted the log files from your unit to review your most recent prints, and compare it with the details you’ve provided.

When you experience the errors inside of the Glowforge App, are you hitting this error with the same file, or multiple files? Would it be possible to obtain copies of these files?

Also, I’d like to see if the same behavior occurs when printing an alternate design. When you have a moment, could you please do the following?

Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on

We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.

Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.

When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.

Let us know if the print completes, and let us know how it goes. We’ll review the log files to see if the same behavior is occurring.

I have saved them as SVG files and it still doesn’t let me cut it. I don’t understand. And I downloaded the original template again and it still isn’t cutting.

Try this one
GlowforgeEarSaversFullsheet_v3

Marc,
I will do this tonight when I get home. I just want to be able to use my Glowforge and make it worth the money I put into it.

I appreciate your response.

I did use several templates and got the same result. I will test it and send you the files after making sure the file is causing an issue.

Thank you. I have saved it and will try it tonight after everything else.

I appreciate it,

Deanna

When you say clear the cache. I had shut it down and started it back up a couple times and it didn’t help. Is there something else you are doing that I am missing?

Clearing your browser cache and history. It’s somewhere in the history section of your browser. It might log you out of things too but it’s worth getting the settings back to normal.

Hi Marc,
I just did the gift of good measure and it cut fine. I will try the ear savers again and see what happens.

Thank you for letting me know! I’m glad to hear that the Gift of Good Measure printed correctly. Please let me know if you run into the same snag when printing the Ear Savers, and I’ll review the print, and provide the next best steps.

Marc,
Can you please check the last few files I printed. I had a couple things change. The engrave wasn’t engraving very well. You can barely see it on the ear saver and two of them on one of the white pieces didn’t cut through all the way when all the others did.

I appreciate it.

Thank you for working through those steps, and I apologize for the delay in response.

I reviewed the 4 prints you performed on May 31, and they all appeared to engrave and cut through correctly. I was not able to review any prints from then until the most recent print you completed, as they were canceled during the print.

Based on the logs, the settings appear to be correct, and the lid images indicate that they should have cut through all of the way, but may have ran into engraving trouble near the QR code.

Would it be possible to obtain an image of the front and back of the prints you recently noticed were not cutting through all of the way?

Crap. I just set them back in and had them cut the rest of the way through. Hard to line up but I managed. it was just two . It was one of the ones that completed. The cancelled prints were me trying to fix artwork from the light engrave.

Was the print which you set back into the unit to re-cut the one which you were planning to send photos of? If so, is there another example of a recent print which didn’t cut through correctly that you could send us photos of the front and back of instead?

Ivan,
I will remember next time I cut and it doesn’t cut all the way through to take a picture front and back and send it. Right now it seems to be working much better. My only concern was the high pitch of the sound. I had a filter unit on it but have gone to the window exhaust for now until I can replace the filter box. Does that make the unit sound higher pitched?

Sincerely,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the images of the front and back of the print if you happen to run into the same snag in the future. This can help us narrow the trouble down if it occurs again.

In regards to the sound you’re hearing, if the Glowforge Air Filter flag is not toggled inside of the app, and the Filter is powered on, this may increase the sounds you hear while printing. I’ve reviewed the logs from your Glowforge, and the exhaust fan does appear to be working correctly.

If you’re still hearing the higher pitch sound while printing, would it be possible to post a recording of the sound? We can review it to ensure that everything is performing as it should.

Marc,
I will definitely send a video of the sound next run I do. I am hoping to do something this evening.

Thank you! I’m going to keep this thread open a little longer, as I want to make sure everything is still performing correctly. I’ll check back again soon, and close the thread if everything appears to be working properly.