Public domain xray images

That might make a fun cookie press…lol

2 Likes

You could in theory do it with a clipping mask, then export the clipped image out as a raster and reimport it.

Only inkscape. But gimp is free and is designed for this stuff so I tend to reach for it first.

Further reading:

http://write.flossmanuals.net/inkscape/clip-and-mask/

3 Likes

@evansd2: I know that the Glowforge GUI does not like clipping and masks at all. But your export/import trick no doubt fixes that. Thanks!

BTW: Although GIMP works for me, I’m ashamed to say that my “go-to” image editor under WIndows is still 20-year-old Paint Shop Pro 5 (cir. 1998). Blinding fast to launch and use. Unobtanium today. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

No shame in that game. Whatever tool works quickly and well is the right tool!

1 Like

Ok, I tried one too tonight. Cleaned it up some in photoshop, inverted and colored everything around it 100% black, added a rectangle in illustrator and ran it on draft board and a scrap piece of basswood. About 1.5” square.

11 Likes

Oh, I wanna play with xrays too! These are all so cool. Here’s my go at it. Think I’ll hang them on my front door for Halloween.

9 Likes

oo, was that from this archive, or from elsewhere?

There are lots of modern xrays over on the smithsonian site.

They were from the original public domain link listed. Kind of towards the middle of all the X-rays I think.

1 Like

@evansd2: Thanks for the tip about using a mask and then export/import to cut out the “negative” X-ray image with a rounded bounding box—all within Inkscape.

Here’s my version with your cool border…

Still using PG medium draftboard with a 3D engrave followed by a vigorous brushing in ethanol. :sunglasses:

fish_xray_neg_border.zip (106.2 KB)

5 Likes

So ok, my next thing I want to do in this little series of experiments…

Make the same piece but horizontally flip the fish and invert everything. In theory, it should make a “mate” piece, like a socket to accept the fish engrave and lip.

I haven’t had a chance to try it but I bet it would be super cool. You’d have this normal looking stack of wood pieces (they should mate pretty cleanly, in theory), but when you pull them apart, you get a fish form.

THEN… use the two pieces to press paper between them and you should get an embossed fish. A nice thick “soft” paper, slightly damp…

I just don’t know when I’ll get a chance to try it, so feel free to take the idea and go with it if it interests you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@evansd2: Maybe engraved using PG acrylic? Perhaps better for embossing paper—and looks like something when mated? :sunglasses:

1 Like