Public service announcement: Gmail phishing attack fooling experts

There are new reports of a Gmail phishing attack that is fooling even the most advanced users.

You get an email from someone you know, containing a thumbnail image of something familiar that you know is related to that person. Thinking it is an image they sent you, you click on it to see the preview in Gmail, but instead of a preview, you are asked to sign into your Google account. Don’t do it!

here are the deets

That is nasty deceptive! I hate malicious computer hackers/spammers/thieves! - Rich

This is really going to catch lots of people off guard. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

Yes thanks so much for helping to keep us safe in the ever changing world of cyber :flushed:

I sent it out to my family, and I also think of this group as sort of my family too!

Thanks for the advice, I’ll inform to my friends and family :slight_smile:

Here’s an example of how underhanded it is:

“The attackers log in to your account immediately once they get the credentials, and they use one of your actual attachments, along with one of your actual subject lines, and send it to people in your contact list.

For example, they went into one student’s account, pulled an attachment with an athletic team practice schedule, generated the screenshot, and then paired that with a subject line that was tangentially related, and emailed it to the other members of the athletic team.”

One way to help combat this and other phishing activities is to use two factor authentication on your Google account or other accounts where it’s offered by the provider.

If you’re not familiar with two factor authentication here is the basic information.

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Thanks for the share, just shared it with my family as well, most of us are Gmail users.

Thanks for the reminder, I put 2 Step on my Gmail last night, and posted to FB for other to do so.