Pushing Limits

I decided to see how intricate I could make the background pattern on this. I’m pretty impressed! Could never have done this without the improvements that got rid of corner overburn.

PG basswood plywood – the crane cutout is from a book of clipart I found in my stuff from back in the prehistoric days when there was no Internet to get it from. :slight_smile:

48 Likes

Yeep, that looks fragile! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Impressive!

3 Likes

Yeep, that looks like it took a few days to print! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Pretty!The intricacy is what always impresses me most.

1 Like

Holy cow, were you concerned the material might catch with the proximity of the cuts!? I know the PG wood is durable stuff compared to the acrylic, so I’m sure there wasn’t any real danger.

You’ve been killing it with projects lately, keep it up!

4 Likes

Mounted in a frame that can protect it? fantastic! It takes getting the settings right and super clean lenses as well. :heart_eyes: ask me how I know

3 Likes

How delicate! Does the back look a bit more crispified?

2 Likes

Don’t sneeze! Really lovely though.

1 Like

The back doesn’t look much different, @arh2! I’ll try to grab a photo, but no promises because I have a road trip ahead of me today. (Lunch and a brief visit with @timjedwards and family at our parents’ retirement community, and then Gkid and I have to hit the road for Ft Worth, 'cause her parents insist on having her back even though she and I both think she should just live here with me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

It took about 40 minutes as I recall, @randy.cohen. :slight_smile:

I’m not gonna try to break it, @Jules, but it actually feels pretty solid!

6 Likes

What’s your minimal detail width for Basswood ply? (I don’t have any.) I found 0.6mm for PG Maple Ply, 0.5 was too small…

1 Like

My biggest problem with that thin is I tend to break the detail cuts with my meat hook fingers when I’m weeding. I do it by hand with a dental pick because Gorilla tape is too aggressive at that size - pulling the tape will often break the small details.

What does help is if I pull the masking off and reapply before I laser. It loses some of its tackiness that way. Occasionally it then peels while lasering though. No perfect solution :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Instead of cluttering up G2N’s thread, I’ll post my response to this over in the thread I started on this a couple of days ago.

1 Like

I used a line width of 1.8 pt, which Google says is .635 mm. So pretty close to what you found.

2 Likes

Here’s the back, @arh2:

7 Likes

Hmm. Discourse apparently feels free to have its way with mobile uploads. The previous photo never existed in landscape mode until I uploaded it here!

2 Likes

That looks pretty good on the back!

2 Likes

That is why I have used hand sanitizer to remove the masking. Do it right and you can have the masking in one piece too.

4 Likes