Q&A with Dan April 20th, 2016

I feel that the Glowforge is marketed as a device that people with fairly basic computer skills can operate.

Beyond offering a design catalog and Proofgrade materials, will the Glowforge team be creating tutorials for folks who are new to this type of device? If so, what type(s)?

7 Likes

What are the (diameter and max extended length) dimensions of the exhaust hose?
(Might as well start creating the hookup and window panel while waiting.)

1 Like

I noticed a recent post requesting directions in Chinese, and I began thinking about multilingual support for Glowfolks outside of the U.S.

How will Glowforge address multilingual support?

Although many Glowfolks use English, when it comes to more technical or intricate aspects of using a laser, something important might get lost in translation.

I think Apple does a good job of offering tutorials for the iPad via the Tips app. It’s all visual, no language.

2 Likes

What’s the footprint on the unit?

This diagram from the home page may help you there. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, it does…many thanks! :relaxed:

2 Likes

hmm, or track it?

4 Likes

How is progress with the ability to double side cut items by flipping them over?

10 Likes

(Sorry…inadvertent hijack)

In lieu of the delay, would it be possible to forego the $200 of supplied material in exchange for a 30-day warranty extension?

1 Like

What are you most concerned about from any competitors? (Kinda associated with the question: Who do you consider to be the most likely competitors for the Glowforge?)

1 Like

Have you worked out how fees will work in the catalogue? With everyone getting a free $50 to blow in the catalogue, whoever puts in a popular design stands to get a LOT of money from your company if thousands of people spend your $50 on a non-company design.

3 Likes

How many people have requested a refund since the announcement yesterday?

5 Likes

Hi Dan, (Repeating a question I posted elsewhere in the forum today)

While the pluses for waiting an extra six months of my time are nice I would like one thing more.

Six months of Glowforge time.

Would Glowforge increase the warranty to 12 months for the base unit and 18 for the advanced power unit? If so I’m in. I’ll wait a week or so and if this is offered I’m in.

Confident this delay and U.S. assembly increases quality? That should limit the additional cost then and supports those who support you.

Best Wishes,
Dave Glotfelty.

5 Likes

What is the current confidence level that the Power supply you are testing now will be the one vs having more iterations on it yet?

2 Likes

If the power supply problems end up being behind you, and nothing else were to go wrong going forward, when would you reach the point of shipping? And assuming you are not willing to answer that due to some people suddenly being upset when you don’t meet that absolute best case date, would you be willing to say how unlikely it is that you will not reach that point in time to meet your new deadline?

1 Like
  • Roughly how many design will the glow forge catalogue launch with??
    -What will the process be like for outside designers to get their products into the catalogue for distribution??

Thanks from up north eh

2 Likes

Will the Glowforge be able to cut solid wood? For example, If I wanted to cut down a tree, slab the wood, let it dry, mill it down to an acceptable thickness for the Glowforge, would I have any issues cutting it? Obviously there would be a need for test cuts to get the correct settings. I have no experience with laser cutting, but curious if I will need to buy proofgrade materials, or be able to make my own? Thanks!

The Proofgrade materials will be available to make sure you get consistent cuts with easy, pre-built settings. I know that knots in wood have been discussed as a challenge point, but the simple answer is that the Glowforge can cut solid wood once you are able to figure out the settings for the particular wood you are using. Someone who has a laser cutter may be able to chime in with ideas of what woods work best but I know this etsy shop has been mentioned as an example of the types of woods you could buy to cut. https://www.etsy.com/market/thin_boards

4 Likes