Q&A with Dan April 20th, 2016

Thank you Dan!
I really want to see it (and how many stitches were required to close you up after yesterday) :mask:

I watched it before it went offline and was able to view it until I left the page. When I returned, the copyright issue was up. Does seems like a really strange copyright message to pop up, though.

Apparently a Chinese copy filed a copyright claim against the video at the start. That’s happened before: a news agency used our video without permission in their broadcast, then their bot filed a claim against us for copyright infringing their broadcast!

It’s a pain to get sorted but we will. In the mean time we’re cropping the video out (which we were going to do anyway) and hopefully will have it up in 20 min or so.

6 Likes

Thats like the time my license plate got stolen, so I reported it to the police, and a few months later they pulled me over and tried to arrest me for stealing my own car.

9 Likes

just send me the part where you answered about the Tacos, I heard it from a reliable source :wink:

5 Likes

Video is now available.

1 Like

Too bad it doesn’t show us all freaking out about the pass thru in the comments. That was a riot!

3 Likes

Funny true story…

I have one of those license plates where – by pure ‘lottery luck’ – if you flip it upside down, it reads back as a potential license plate. Ambigram, I think the term is. But it’s not perfect, since my province started using “XXX NNN” format, and has since gone to “XXXX NNN” format.

I drove around for over a year with my license plate upside down without getting stopped. Parking lot rovers (ie.- the guy that drives around lots with OCR to read plates and tag cars) would find that the recorders would recognize the plate, but they were helpless to edit the ticket. And of course, if they can’t find it in the system, then they can’t send it to collections either.

But the few times I did get pulled over by police and asked, “Did you know your plate was mounted upside down?” they were slightly amused at the fact and just let me off with warnings.

Funny enough, there’s nothing in the highway act that says the plate has to be right-side up. It only defines the location where it should be, and that it must be legible. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Thank you @dan and @bailey!
Really good to see you guys smiling, I know you suffered a terrible day yesterday.

I knew a soon as the extent of the delay floored me that the extended period was insurance against a repeat delay. Now you have the time, and the stress level of trying to beat the clock is gone… for the most part.
I understand that this is Earth and anything is possible, but I have every confidence that units will be shipping prior to December.

I know you took a lot of heat over the delay, but you knew it would have been to the second power had you shipped a buggy, feature crippled machine.
Unfortunate that you had to take a beating for doing the right thing.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Just finished the video. I noticed @dan got a lot more comfortable as the video went along. Glad to see you loosen up and laughing. Watching you slowly relax was like being at a party and seeing a friend get slowly drunk. Party starts and he is kinda nervous walking around with a beer not making eye contact and by the time it’s ending he is at the bar telling a joke and knocking down a shot.

Really was nice to see you relax and move forward with this amazing product!

3 Likes

I just realized that you broke the news to all of us on 4/20… maybe thinking that many of us are ‘mellowed out’? :wink:

3 Likes

I missed the Q&A so it was great to see the video (thanks @karaelena). Hope I don’t sound too sycophantic here :wink: But I have to say that Dan’s excitement about the machine has got me even more excited about it. It was interesting to hear the bit about the filter possibly shipping separately. I know how I would answer the question of whether I want them only together: my first project would be to cut a window vent adapter.

3 Likes

Just a quick thanks to @dan and @ bailey. Just watched the spaghetti western video ( audio was out of sync for me so funny) and loved it. Great job on the questions and big thanks on a couple more sneak peeks of designs. Another video Juneish ?..Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Right!? I swear they were avoiding it :slight_smile: But thankfully they acknowledged it and discussed it briefly. Sounds like not much work has been done with it but then again it seems to be primarily software related (how to “idiot proof” aligning…I include myself as one of those “idiots”)!

2 Likes

And Dan’s brother Ari sang with Pink Martini? I missed that conneciton. I love Pink Martini!

1 Like

Unless there are multiple Ari Shapero (sp) i listen to him most days on NPR

3 Likes

Wonder how we can get them to throw in one of those Glowforge T-shirts with our lasers?(That Bailey was wearing)

4 Likes

I just got gone watching - @dan & @bailey thank you both so much for doing this! So much new & good info. That’s just what we needed this week! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. Ari is awesome. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the only answer right now is “by working at Glowforge”.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the Q&A! I’m really glad to hear this sort of News!