QOTD: Your Creative Resolutions

Be sure to show us what you’re working on with the hand-lettering and calligraphy, @jamingaroutte, especially as it cross-pollinates with GF. I used to make my living as a calligrapher, and I’m so itching to incorporate text with cutting on a whole bunch of materials.

2 Likes

@jtaylor, that’s the best answer so far. Loving it, and seconding. :joy:

1 Like

Creative resolution: Not a single day without art/creation.
Day 1: wall decals

Day 2: AdobeCapture-assisted sketchbook rediscovery, began aerosol word-cloud for my girlfriend’s lab-boss (note : liquitex spraypaint bleeds under like crazy-sauce.)

2 Likes

My creative resolution in regards to my glowforge is to up my game and streamline production of parts I use in my shop every day. Wether I buy them from somewhere else or fab them myself using my router I will save a ton of time using glowforge as well as materials , money and mess which all translates in to me making more money to buy more tools and materials. I will also be starting to make and sell 12 volt installations parts as well as advertising pieces and a few really neat ideas and projects that will be available on ETSY when I have them figured out. The first one I will tackle will be an ipad dock, made from wood and acrilyc that also doubles as a horn amplifier for the iPad itself and should add 10 to 15 db to the volume of the iPad speaker. Perfect for your desk at work or the counter in the kitchen.

2 Likes

This is not mine. A friend of mine built this but my glowforge version would be similar with some modifications to the original design. I would add in a charging port as well as a different style of holder so you can acess the button.

1 Like

I am going to get back to my roots and resume making things that don’t disappear when you turn off the computer.

8 Likes

Step 1: Organize my life; move my paper files to all digital, organize all my pics, my tools, and clear out all the clutter.

Step 2: Start making beautiful things.
Like, replace the crappy pine drawers in my pantry, that are held together with ugly screws and falling apart, with really well made ones, from maple wood, and with actual dovetails…
Make some art that we will be proud to hang up
Make gifts that we will be proud to give
Make jewelry that others will be happy to wear

1 Like

Resolution 1: This year, I’d like to do at least one show in an art gallery to showcase my new laser-cut art style.

Resolution 2: Spend at least a couple of hours a week experimenting with new materials and techniques.

Resolution 3: Teach my kids how to create things with a laser-cutter.

2 Likes

I am greatly looking forward to adding the laser to my resume of tools and so many materials and techniques I’ve never been able to work with before. I intend to learn all that I can, and push the limits of my knowledge and skill to new heights thanks to the gf, and to make all of my 2016 gifts possible with my laser using those new skills. I already have a list of gift ideas going. I also intend to find and participate in a local maker space before and after I get my GF, to help further my own knowledge and to share as well

1 Like

Does finally finishing my school portfolio count?

1- draw more- I used to sketch all the time, but now I hardly do it (I blame work.) Specifically, I want to get better at drawing people.
2-set up a small online store, with the goal of eventually selling things I’ve made with my Glowforge.
3-make ALL the Christmas gifts next year!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to getting the Glowforge as cutting my leather patterns by hand has really started taking a toll on my hands and elbows, but while I wait my resolutions are:

1. Finish all existing leather and clay projects that I didn’t finish for 2015.
  2. Do at least one large Charcoal drawing a month.
  3. Get my site side store complete so I don’t have to rely on Etsy for everything.
  4. Brush up on the 3D functions of Photoshop and Illustrator.

For anyone that is interest in looking at my portfolio/gallery: http://agrimmdesign.com/portfolio/

3 Likes

I love all the cool stuff on your website. Especially the leather work and your drawings. Thanks for showing us!

2 Likes

Love the work, amazingly varied. Much of the leather works seems very varied in height of engraving (if that is the right word) which must be very hard to do. It will be interesting to see how a laser does in replicating that carve work.

However I am pretty sure it is illegal to have a Boston Red Sox B in the same portfolio at Texas symbols…

2 Likes

Update on my creative project, a Mathias Wandel bandsaw. This is the final glue up of the main six layers. I don’t know if it will be cheaper or not than buying a bandsaw. Had to buy a few more clamps. That’s one thing about a project. Figure in tool cost in addition to material cost! It’s been a good project because it’s helping me work with plans, precise measurement, glue up, and Sketchup.

6 Likes

Thank you @Xabbess

And thank you @henryhbk The word would be tooled or stamped. I do all of the leather tooling by hand and that it something I will continue to do even after the GFP, it’s just something that cannot be replicated any other way other then with wet leather and pressure, in my case with a small tool and hammer. But I am excited to see what I can do with the laser, because I can only go into so much detail by hand.

2 Likes

Spike, it IS a lot of fun! If you’re just starting out, check out ebay for some inexpensive tools. Just really need the basics. Also, any tool can be modified to fit what you’re working on.
Good luck!

1 Like

I think we’re talking about horses of a different color. Comparing tooling/stamping to lasering is like comparing a photo to a painting. Tooling is an art all by itself. I’m excited to do some lasering just for some different kind of projects, but I’ll never give up my tooling! (Nice to see other leatherheads on here!)

3 Likes

I’m with @jtaylor. My goal will be to work more outside my comfort zone. Too often I don’t take on a project because i feel I can’t pull it off.

I also want to start doing more projects with my son to get him more interested in building things.

2 Likes

My goal is to save and take over the world of tabletop rpg gaming.

1 Like