Quarter Scale RC Airplane

OK, it’s a model of what used to be the worlds smallest full size plane, the Stits Sky Baby, but it is quarter scale! PDF plans from Outerzone, traced using Silhoette Studio, and all balsa and ply cut on the Glowforge. Covering is light weight tissue (wing graphics also cut on the Glowforge) overlaid with Doculam. 30oz all up weight.

69 Likes

Looks great!

5 Likes

That is awesome!

4 Likes

I’m officially gobsmacked! That thing is really cute.

2 Likes

That IS cute! (I probably wouldn’t mind one of those full sized ones.) :grinning:

4 Likes

So amazing! Please if you ever take her up and get a video, post it! I would love to see that!

3 Likes

Looks great, I’ve wanted to make an rc plane for awhile with the GF. My father flies them all the time

3 Likes

:astonished: :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Nice! I have a Clancy Aviation Stagger Bee that looks kind of similar. But I didn’t laser cut that kit for myself.

And Tissue. The last plane I covered with tissue (silkspan, actually) must have been more than 40 years ago.

How does it fly?

2 Likes

Wow! That is amazing. Does it fly?

2 Likes

Thanks all for the very positive feedback. Not sure I can remember the last time I made anyone gobsmacked. On the flying thing. No it’s not flown yet. Just finished and looking for a nice calm morning for the maiden. Will it fly? I’ve never built one that didn’t, so yes. The only open question is how well, how long and does it result in a landing that is compatible with further flights. I’ll update.

6 Likes

Just don’t ask this guy to fly it…

5 Likes

That’s pretty awesome!

3 Likes

Fantastic work.

3 Likes

Stagger Bee plans are on Outerzone so no excuse not to cut a spare kit!

2 Likes

That is terrific looking! DOes it fly?

2 Likes

So cool!!! Love it!!!

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing. Your skills definitely show in this plane.

1 Like

Dang it, I had just gotten the “build it and fly it” bug out of my system. I lost all of my planes and helicopters in a nasty weather related incident. I don’t think I should think about this outloud… or my wife would kill me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness—- this is adorable. Love it!!

1 Like