Question with engraving on PG wood/materials

Hey guys! New here, just got my GF today in the maiL!! I will never not laugh when I abbreviate that… anyway, I was playing with it and testing some stuff. I engraved a pretty detailed photo on the PG plywood. The stuff that has the paper/tape on top to protect it!

Problem is, it seems some of the design is ON the paper! If I remove the paper, it will remove some of the detail. I dont even know how the machine did this. but it put some of the shadow on the paper.
Should I remove the paper before doing image engravings?

If it’s a highly detailed image, or one that has lighter shades of gray that you are trying to capture, yeah, it can help to remove the masking before engraving. You’ll have to clean up the deposits on it after the job, but some people prefer to do it that way.

You can also use a darker engrave setting to make sure you burn all the way through the paper. The HD (High Def) setting will usually give a deeper, darker result.

3 Likes

Thanks I can try that. I wasnt sure what settings to use, first timer!

Yeah, try the HD…it gives a nice deep engrave. :slightly_smiling_face:

That is some wonderful advice @Jules! @whickmant, did the HD engrave setting get you the results you’re looking for?

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.