Quick Christmas Ornament

So one of my good friends moved away a couple days ago to Ohio to live near family. I was helping him load the moving truck and decided to make a quick christmas ornament for him to remember his time here with a men’s group we were a part of.

Front

Back

That still has the masking on it because I got everyone from the group to sign the piece and then I engraved the signatures. I won’t share a picture of that because it’s a bit personal. The overall dimensions are 3.5" across by a little taller, and I added a piece of yarn to hang it by.

All in all, pretty happy to be able to make gifts spur of the moment like this :smile:

21 Likes

Using the trace function? I’ve seen very little use of that posted here so just curious how easy you found it.

2 Likes

That was the idea, and I tried it, but I couldn’t find a way to select just the signatures. The selection is by rectangle (as far as I could tell that’s the only option), so it would pick up more than just the signatures, and there wasn’t a way to select which part of the image to engrave; it was all or nothing.

I ended up taking a picture with my phone and cleaning that up in inkscape. Not the best, but better than the fuzzy picture I was getting from the GF camera.

I don’t doubt the trace works well if you have a cleaner piece, but because mine had smoke residue on it from the engrave, it was picking up a lot of that.

3 Likes

That’s what I was wondering. I’ve only tested the trace function to know a little about it to help others. With the existing designs on the material, I was curious how it would work out. Thanks!

2 Likes

Beautiful image and thought! I hope he loves it!

3 Likes

Great gift.

3 Likes

Great idea for last minute stocking stuffers too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Bill and Ted approve :wink:

3 Likes

Excellect!

2 Likes

Great idea! A fun keepsake for him.

2 Likes