Quilted Hankie Box

My daughter-in-law asked me to make a hankie box to go on the top of her dresser. She asked for it to have a quilt pattern on it, and sent me some color samples of their bedroom colors for it to match. This is the result:

The inner part of the box is made from medium PG maple plywood. The quilt pattern is 1/8" Baltic birch, painted with acrylic paints, and the edge trim is PG red oak hardwood. I finished it with a dozen or so coats of tung oil.

I made lots and lots of mistakes, and it’s far from perfect, but so am I, and she likes me anyway, so I think she’ll be okay with it. :wink:

58 Likes

Very nice indeed.

3 Likes

Nicely done! Such a nice finished look.
I love stuff made with a laser that doesn’t look like it was obviously made with a laser :smiley:

7 Likes

Hey, it looks perfect to us and it will to her as well! (We only see our own mistakes magnified. I see you adopted the veneer strip cover up routine - nicely done!

5 Likes

It’s beautiful! I love the subtle arch at the bottom of the box, very nice detail!

6 Likes

Thank you! I’m trying to teach myself to think of little things like that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The colors are great! Box is fantastic.

6 Likes

I’m always envious of folks who can rock inlay work. Looks awesome!

5 Likes

Wow, that’s just… wow! I don’t see anything wrong with it!

5 Likes

Good! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

If you had a Dremel you could probably have made it perfect - it works great for twirling drill bits :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :popcorn:

4 Likes

… or a pin vise…

7 Likes

Yeah, I looked in the magic drawer for one of those, but it didn’t appear, so I had to use my fingers instead.

3 Likes

We have a silly way in our family…we say, ‘love you anyway’. That being said, you are just getting better and better if that’s even possible. The box is just lovely and I’ll bet you dollars to donuts she notices not even ONE mistake. Nice work, Ruth!

7 Likes

Beautiful design on your box. We have a quilt with that exact design.

4 Likes

Kudos. I really like design. It does not scream I was made with a laser.

5 Likes

That’s a gorgeous box! How’d you do the mitered cuts on the trim?

The photography is outstanding as well.

3 Likes

On the top? They’re actually multiple flat pieces – there are 4 strips with angled ends framing the design on top, then 4 rectangular strips glued to the sides of the box top that extend 1/8" up to surround the frame. Since they’re hardwood, once they were glued on and sanded they kind of blended together, but you can still see the seam lines if you look closely. :slight_smile:

The sides aren’t mitered either, just sanded to blend in to each other.

7 Likes

I didn’t want to step on g2n’s toes, but those top mitered pieces are essentially an extension of the inlay.

1 Like

Everything I have seen you make is just stunning. I have never had much luck with sewing, but thinking that a good understanding of Kumiko, and the designs worked into quilting, could be really amazing. Thank you for the introduction to that rabbit hole too!

2 Likes