Random hardware found

So I’m in the process of cleaning my unit and as I’m looking things over I find this beauty nestled in the forward left corner. I’m thinking, “How did that get there? Aren’t these units inspected to prevent things like this?” I get it, :poop: happens and things get over looked. Happens to the best of 'em. Now I really need to look things over just in case there are more, hopefully not. Don’t need that messing things up.

Things get dropped during the manufacturing process and sometimes they don’t get retrieved. If you have been running your Glowforge without incident, I would extract this screw and carry on.

3 Likes

After seeing the condition of some of our shipping boxes, it COULD have come off of somewhere else and ended up there…

(Maybe you’ll get lucky and one day when you need to replace a fan or something you’ll find out that was the impossible-to-get-to one…)

3 Likes

These machines are, in large part, assembled by hand, and human hands are prone to dropping tiny screws. Sometimes without noticing or noticing where they went. Each machine gets tested before it leaves the factory, so if it were dropped somewhere that’d cause a problem, that’d have been noticed before it got boxed up. You now own a free bonus screw.

2 Likes

Nah, I’m going to leave it as trying retrieve it may cause an issue. It’s tucked in snug as a bug in a rug.

True, my box was delivered with damage. But the whole point of the post was to bring awareness of the find.

I’m a mechanic and fully understand how things can slip and drop.

That’s why the first thing I do whenever I buy a new appliance of any sort is hold it upside down over my head and shake it to see if anything rattles or falls out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Akhath I am so sorry there is a piece of hardware sitting in your Glowforge printer.

This is one of the screws used to secure the metal panel on the lower door of your printer. It’s likely an extra that snuck in at the factory.

Could you please open the door and let me know if there are any screws missing?

I didn’t see anything missing, some spots are hard to see without a mirror.

@Akhath Thanks for checking! It sounds like this is probably just an extra screw that snuck into the printer at some point before it was shipped. Sorry for the concern!

Since it looks like we’re all clear here I’m going to go ahead and close this topic, but feel free to reach out again if you have any other concerns.

1 Like