Random lines keep ruining my nice wood and cuts

Hey Mike, thanks! Rasterizing the design does fix the issue, however using a rasterized file reduces the available print area and I’m not able to fit the entire design at the same size. Any suggestions as to why this happens?

Your engrave area is influenced by the speed you have chosen for the engrave. The printhead needs room to accelerate and decelerate for every line. The faster the speed, the less print area you will have.

1 Like

Oh that’s good to know, thanks @dklgood!

In your raster engrave settings, there’s a slider called “margin optimization”. If you slide that towards “minimize margin”, you should find that your engraveable area is as large or larger than for vector artwork.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thanks @dan84!

Thanks Mike! My only problem with the rasterization is that I lose some quality to the design, not ideal but I’ll take it to save hours of frustration :laughing:

1 Like

Hi @lovesimpledesign. It looks like you’ve been getting some great advice from fellow Glowforge owners and my colleague, Mike, in this thread. It sounds like rasterizing the design is the best solution to address this, but I wanted to verify that no other issues were encountered before closing this thread. Let me know if you’re running anything else as you try to print, and I’ll be happy to help. If you’re all good, let me know and I can close this ticket/thread. Thank you!

If you rasterize at a high enough resolution this shouldn’t be a problem. Somewhere in the 300-600 dpi range, try to match your engraving LPI.

2 Likes

I tried at 300 dpi and then forget to check to see if it matched, I’m also wondering if engraving as HD would help as well, great advice! Thank you!!

1 Like

If you ever want to try the HD settting, try it on a small piece of material with a small design. I have never been happy with the output of that preset, so would hate to see a lot of material and time wasted. 1000/90/270 is my go-to for most wood engravings. Or 225 LPI if there isn’t so much detail in the design.

3 Likes

Hi @lovesimpledesign. I wanted to keep this thread open to help you continue the discussion and try the other suggestions for the engrave prints. I’ve moved this thread into the Everything Else section to keep this open, but feel free to create a new thread if any other trouble comes up. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.