Random question: Something similar to a rock climbing hold?

In our small camper, there’s a bunk and my son sleeps on the top bunk. I’m trying to find a lightweight solution that doesn’t take up much room to help him get a boost to climb up. I found a fold out step in automotive accessories and that thing ended up being way too big and heavy! :smiley: (kind of comical when I got it).

I was thinking if I could make some kind of step - possibly with the Glowforge - something that I could secure safely near where he needs to climb up, it might work well.

I found one idea that is not Glowforge-able but I was just wondering if anyone has made anything like this with the GF? Maybe I could layer some wood pieces cut at an angle to form a small step?

3 Likes

This guys makes wooden rock climbing holds:

You could follow his style but laser cut each layer.

3 Likes

You could totally build them to order using the layering method… or you could order some rock climbing holds :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’m gonna check this out.

Yes! I actually showed them to my husband. I have some in my Amazon cart. :smiley: But I’d love to make my own!

2 Likes

When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and when you have a Glowforge, every project needs some type of lasered component! You could always do the layering technique, then cover it with something moldable and resin like. This guy has listed a bunch of interesting ideas, such as something as simple as a forked branch cut short and attached to the wall.

How I Make Climbing Holds - Camp4

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

6 Likes

Cool, I’ll check it out!

YES - Guilty! :smiley: I also like the idea of being able to make it whatever size I want, whereas from what I’ve seen, typical climbing holds are pretty standard size. My daughter would not be able to get up there with regular climbing holds. (Now comes the question of whether I want her to easily get up to her brother’s bunk and bug him or not LOL, but it all comes down to a matter of keeping her safe from falling.) :smiley:

I am thinking of using sugru. I have some sitting here waiting to be used for something. If that doesn’t work, plastidip might be another option (and I have some of that too).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.