Random shutdown after few minutes cutting time

hi

we have a GF at our hackerspace, and we’ve had a few hot days where the GF was not able to run during the day because it was too hot, so a few people came at night or ealy morning to use the GF

just after that it just shut down in the middle of a cutting operation (just goes dead) even the lights go out… cleaning it seemed to help, (vacuing the cutting surface, cleaing off the tube with a cloth, and using a airduster where possible.

but it just happened again and even after cleaing it does not come back up i did notice that the last thing i saw in the web interface was “allert cooling” but i have a thermometer staning right next to it and it’s about 21 C right now

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that.

Just to confirm, when you restart the unit, the lights don’t turn on and nothing moves?

Your Glowforge should be plugged directly into a grounded, 800W wall outlet. If you haven’t already, please try the following:

1. Unplug your Glowforge completely
  2. Plug another device directly into the outlet and see if it works
  3. If the outlet works, inspect both ends of the power cord included with your Glowforge
  4. Plug in the end of the power cord that goes to the Glowforge, making sure it is inserted all the way in
  5. Plug the other end of the power cord into the outlet, making sure it is inserted all the way in
  6. If your Glowforge still won’t power on, try another outlet

Let me know what you find!

hi jaz, thank you for responding so fast

we tried that , it seems to not be the outlet. we even tried replacing the power cord.

sorry i forgot to add … yes restarting the machine does not change … nothing turns on

Thanks so much for trying that.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll reach out to the owner of the Glowforge via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.