Rapidly losing confidence in GlowForge

In that case, put that in the list of reasons I hope they massively pick up the pace and everybody gets their Glowforge soon. I want to see some more “made-by-@jules

13 Likes

Squeeeeeee. :blush:

4 Likes

My latest project:

3 Likes

Did you forget to add a photo, or is this making a point?

:smile:

1 Like

Oh, just being a stick in the mud. It has been a long week. :wink:

5 Likes

Gotcha. :smile:

1 Like

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I will not be seeing a GF before Nov/Dec. I have so many other projects to keep me busy at home but I still lament those I can’t do.

Let’s see…

Finish jack-hammering concrete to install more flower beds.
Finish building raised planter.
Build self watering garden v3.
Install tongue and grove boards under soffits that previous owner left unfinished.
Hang 100" projection screen in living room.
Install ceiling speakers in bedroom, studio, art room, and rear surround in living room.
Clean up everything.
Build shop in detached garage.
Unpack everything that has been sitting since I moved last year.
Insulate trailer.
Finish solar install on trailer.
Build out inside of trailer (murphy bed and cabinets/desk).
Hang video projector.
Convert spare bedroom into gallery.
Refinish furniture purchased from Goodwill clearance center.
Buy, install, and calibrate 42" printer.
Hang October show at the Art’s Factory.
Make new art / take new pictures.
Finish painting block wall and iron fences.

Yup, plenty of things to keep me busy no matter how many things I want to laser. :wink:

12 Likes

Dude, if you can complete all of that before December, I need to hire you. :smile:

6 Likes

Not gonna happen. :smiley:

1 Like

That might work - however nearly all of the post titles make it obvious what they are about, so skipping rants/venting would be as easy as not clicking on them in the vast majority of cases. No real need for a separate category.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ve got a wicked home theater in the works.

1 Like

I can enter my voice in the echo of concern. I’ve defended Glowforge in groups on FB (Laser Engraving and Cutting) that it’s a crowdfunded device and sh*t takes time.

I’ve spoken to people from a local makerspace that have played with the device and they love it.

I’m losing hope and my wife wants me to cancel and I have insisted it’s sunk cost and we’re playing the waiting game. I have folders upon folders of projects to work on and I feel I have a time investment that I don’t want to give up.

6 Likes

I feel you, Doug. We got some plans to make real but we can’t either…it hurts, I know :frowning:

2 Likes

I am the opposite. I am having to make lots of things without a GF so by the time it arrives I have less and less lined up for it. For example I made this lab PSU recently. I would have engraved legends on the front panel if I had my GF. I start on another lab instrument today and have another planned after but I doubt I will have my GF for any of them.

24 Likes

Nice! You should post more of the stuff you’ve made. I’d love to see it.

12 Likes

You are so close, hang in there.

My wife is just experiencing what will be available to her. She is not techie, but very crafts and artsy. Her eyes (and ideas) lit up once she made the connection on how she can use it.

I have the advantage that I held back on exposing her to the many things GF :glowforge: can do, but your wife definitely has been in it with you for the long haul and has become weary from the wait. She will be very happy with it!

2 Likes

A PC case I made that would also have looked better with an engraved front panel to remind me which is reset and which is power.

Here is a 3D laser engraver I am working on. I would have made the acrylic door with my GF but I had to buy it cut to size and drill it by hand. Then again I probably wouldn’t have started building it at all if I thought I would get my GF this year.

A display to go on the top of a 3D printer that I am designing:

No GF work needed but I do want to use the GF to make the acrylic door for the new printer.

Acrylic doors for a 19" rack cabinet that I would have made using pass through:

IMG_20170923_174446

A solder fume filter, no GF work needed

28 Likes

That’s a nice PC case. Can’t wait to see the others when completed. The laser engraver sounds very interesting!

3 Likes

The next design is a mains power supply with an isolation transformer, a variac, volt and amp meter and current limiting. It will allow me to work on mains equipment safely. Currently trying to repair a switch mode PSU in a friend’s home cinema unit. It is a bid dodgy working on live mains PCBs and you can’t attach a scope without isolation.

After that I will make a high current active load for testing power supplies and then I need to make a high current driver for an 8W fibre laser diode I have.

I also intend to make a pick and place machine next year. In fact I have a big list of projects to do now I am retired.

13 Likes

Yep! Keeping busy is way better than being bored.

1 Like