Raster vs Vector engraving

There is a crowd /grin

Depends on the cut most calipers outside measure wont sit inside of a kerf line. But you have a few options

Cut a 1x1 set the cut to the out side measure the block should be 1x1 then measure the void it will be say 1.0016. So subtract the 1 and dived the difference by 2 and thatā€™s your kerf
Or you set the cut to the inside of the box line and basically do the same for the measure

But yes you would use a caliper, and it doesnā€™t have to be a full inch by inch it can be as small as what ever it takes to get the outside measure forks to fit so it could be .25x.75. Will depend on your tool

5 Likes

Absolutely. The measurements are so small that you need precise instruments. A hairline difference can mean no glue/tight fit or loose fit having to glue parts togetherā€¦

4 Likes

In addition to your list I also keep track of other stuff.

I do date mine. I want to see how power required is changing over time to give me a heads up on tube life (I know you have those cool metal ones that last for year but mineā€™s a cheap chinese one :slight_smile:).

I also include material source - helps me figure out if Iā€™m having issues with a place Iā€™m buying stuff from.

I also note if I have any issues with the cut - like it worked 95% on a cut but had a couple of issues with the cut failing due to knots, internal glues or something materials based or a machine problem or design file issue.

Filename of the AI or Corel design file. I try to keep these in different directories by project, but this helps me distinguish between versions of a project design as I tweak it over time.

And runtime. I like to know how long Iā€™m going to have to babysit it if I go back to run something again.

8 Likes

Material source is a good oneā€¦as are they allā€¦
Cant go wrong with TMI (ā€œtoo much informationā€ for anyone who doesnt know)ā€¦unless its the TMI we all dont want to hear aboutā€¦lmao :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
My laser can do a run time prediction from the file so dont have to record that luckilyā€¦and I have a 3T hard drive with lots and lots of filesā€¦lol

1 Like

One of mine does but itā€™s not very accurate which causes some amount of friction with my wife because how long I think Iā€™ll be occupied is different than what I end up being diverted :slight_smile: Iā€™ve learned not to start something before dinner :grin:

4 Likes

derail but 3T I have 50TB running at homeā€¦ never mind what I get to play with at work witch is simply massive :slight_smile:

Oops meant to say 3Tb worth of filesā€¦my drives are 15TB

Way to spark the envy yā€™all. I thought I was the big man in town last year when I got a LAN box with 10TB to share.

1 Like

Thatā€™s very impressive how is that all put together.
I have personally
4x4tb
4x3tb
6x2tb
2x5tb
6x128gb ssd
2x256gb ssd
1x512gb ssd

Being ran on server 2012r2 in various configuration for performance tiers or resilience

For you to have 150tb that is a huge amount of space to hate personally spinning

At work well we measure our space in the PB. Of the space on control its about 600TB but with dedupication we can fit about 400TB in 50TB of physical disk

Sorry typoā€¦15TB. I need to proofread my typing!!!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have 3 external hard drivesā€¦not always hooked up to the computerā€¦some incase of fire or disaster so I can grab and go so to speak

2 Likes

Thanks for this information! Thatā€™s what I was thinking about recording date. From what I have heard, we can expect the GF tube performance to degrade over time so tracking this could be helpful.

1 Like

wonder if there is a way to do mileage on the tube via the cloud something like photons pumped or total tube wattage used total @dan ? Useing something like that vs time because 10 min at 20% is different then 10min at 100%

2 Likes

ā€œIn the hopperā€

1 Like

eh only kinda sorta time is not actually the metric to measure usage for something like this. You have two rice silos with the same quantity you open one silo to a 2 inch circle you open the other to a 3 inch circle and let the rice flow out. The first 3 inch silo drains in an hour the 2 inch in 4 hours. What you need to do instead is to count the grains of rice that have left the silo. And then against what your know quantity is you will know when the silo needs a refilā€¦ As this is a new laser tube custom we donā€™t know how many grains of rice it has but at least we can track the grains out or in this case photons out or watts used directly by the tube. And then the gf cloud data can start doing predictive modeling cross checked with service tickets. time is not a good measure

True enough but without the ability to count the grains of rice (or power being consumed/output by the laser) time is not an awful surrogate. With a tube that should live for multiple years and a pretty consistent use pattern (with the same user), even though different projects will use more or less power than others, in the long run over a couple of years the peaks and valleys should flatten out and give us a good approximation of life & usage.

2 Likes

your thinking far to small. As its a single command and control all the usage information feeds duration and power as well as in reference to what materials all that data can be utilized to make models of prediction. For things like total life or power drift for materials of age useing all the data from all the users. Also create model to show what is typical and what is heavy and what materials are more common. Some extremely powerful things van be done with big data for something like this due to the way its being implemented that previously was not even a twinkles in some ones eyes in previous platforms

1 Like

You all have gone way left of center on this topic

We need a badge for most far off topic on a threadā€¦lol. I know Iā€™ve been guilty or should I say a likely candidate for that badgeā€¦lol

1 Like

Ya I should create a new thread about the types of modeling that can be done

1 Like

True. But my comment was in reference to what I do today as far as logging my projects. None of the GFā€™s cloud based technology is available to me so I log duration, power, etc now to see if my K40 (or the larger 60W) are starting to take longer to do a project. That is enough to warn me I may need a new tube.

Laser Lady (:wink:) doesnā€™t worry about that because sheā€™s got metal rechargeable tubes that are lasting her damn near forever in technology time :smiley:

2 Likes