Rattan bunny

I have been obsessed with this rattan. I love the cutout rattan but just wanted more, so yesterday, I spent several hours trying to work it out and I think I finally have it. Would someone try it out for me or give me some input on any changes I need to make
rattan score design bunny
… away from my glowforge until March. thank you so much
GREEN SCORE RED CUT

14 Likes

My immediate feedback is that there’s a lot of misalignment in the file, which will be noticeable in the final design. It’s not wrong per se, as an aesthetic decision you could of course say “that’s how I want it”, but it was the first thing I noticed.

For example:

You can see that the green and red lines are inconsistently aligned, and you’ll definitely be able to see it in the final result. Zooming in, you can see that the gap can be quite significant:

0.02" is a surprisingly large distance when lasering.

8 Likes

Similarly to the first bunny that you shared, you have score lines inside of cut lines. There is no reason to take the time to score an area that will then but cut out.

4 Likes

Is this the way it goes?

7 Likes

OMG it is sooo pretty, thank you so much for cutting it.

2 Likes

The easy way to fix that in Inkscape is to select the green lines - click Path > Object to Path - then select the node editing button - highlight around each of the squares where they duplicate - and hit the delete segment button

The biggest difference will be to cut time, but personally I think it makes the whole design look better quality (presuming you’re looking to sell these and not just make them for personal use). If I bought a design as your original, I would fix it myself, and then never buy from that seller again.

4 Likes

I did spend the morning completely redoing the rabbit itself. does this look any better
new rattan bunny

2 Likes

Oh yes, that’s beautiful! There are a few spots where the cuts aren’t connecting, but your score lines are spot on :smiley:

3 Likes

You can also see pretty clear misalignments and inconsistency in the pattern. The blue guides should be exactly on the lines in question, and the place where the two guides intersect should be there that corner is.

it’s much improved, but if you’re going for perfect, there are still quite a few defects to solve. Making woven patterns like this is very difficult to get right, and I find that if I download them from free sites they tend to have all kinds of problems like this. I have manually redrawn them in the past, but it’s always a lot of work. :confused:

5 Likes

Heh - and that’s where I feel like you get a more natural look. Rattan woven chairs are rarely true squares :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh wow I forgot to connect them. Thank you for bringing it to my attention

4 Likes

For future readers, this has been continued in I closed all the cut lines, hopefully this one will work out ok Score lavender, cut the red

(@donnam873, you should be able to edit your initial post with updates to the file, etc. If you start a whole new thread, people might not notice there is a better file version!)

10 Likes