Read Around the World Passport Stamps

Each classroom at my elementary school this year chose to be a different country for March is Reading Month. Once each room had learned about their countries, other classes visited and brouhgt with them passports. They’ each received a stamp from that country. In STEM we designed the individual stampers and then used Glowforge to create them.

We used thick white acrylic with the make stamp feature. There are stampers available in the catalog but we ended up modify and making our own.

38 Likes

This is great, I like the texture the acrylic stamps give. You think that’s down to the acrylic or the choice of ink/paint?

13 Likes

Probably a little of both. We used the standard Sanford stamp pads teachers have been using for ever. There’s a bit of a learning curve and it’s really easy to smear. I think the acrylic is very slippery compared to a standard rubber stamp. We talked about how the less-than-perfect nature actually lends itself to looking like a quick passport stamp.

13 Likes

Great reading project. I like the way the Glowforge was used to augment the illusion of travel and simulate one aspect of crossing borders.

11 Likes

What a great thing for the kids to do to learn about different countries! And to think of having them have passports is something that I think makes it even more special for them. Definitely something I never learned when I was in school (eons ago!). And I love that STEM was able to use the Glowforge to design and make the stamps that were used! Totally awesome!

13 Likes

It’s such a neat use of the Glowforge in schools. I love the whole project!

13 Likes

This is such a great project! Great execution of idea!

8 Likes

Super fun. Stamps worked great!

7 Likes

What an excellent project - encouraging reading, broadening their horizons, and documenting their progress in a tangible and memorable way. Great use of the GF!

6 Likes

Love this! Creating memories with children. There’s nothing better!

6 Likes

Amazing! Love seeing Glowforge being used in classrooms and teaching kids. Showing the magic of Glowforge at such a young age!

3 Likes

Nothing brought more joy back to the classroom than Glowforge did as we returned from Covid. Such a powerful tool in any classroom, but especially STEM.

5 Likes