Ready, Scanning, Preparing Back to Ready

Finally get back to printing after the third unit. My excitement once again turn to dismay. For two days now, I have been trying to print the last two pieces of a presentation due in the morning. GFUI goes through Ready…print…scanning your material…preparing your design…then the dreaded back to “Ready…Print.” Clearly, I am missing the obvious. Shutting it down…rebooting the system…trying again the next day…have all failed to produce the teal print light. What am I missing (other than abandoning this seemingly increasing time-waster)?

Log out of the app/website, cycle the power, then log back in.

Same results.

This is a bad problem I have experience several times in the past. It’s an error condition that, in my case and as far as I can tell, seemed to be caused the svg being too complex. Instead of providing a proper error message, it just panics and goes back to the images of the scanner bed.

They have got to fix that. I see forum posts about this issue periodically.

1 Like

Believe it or not, it is two squares. One with a logo and another with a hole in the center.

Not a fan right now…unlike the results of this crazy March Madness.

Changed the project…same thing!!! Agh!!!

Is the logo raster or vector?

Vector. Printed many of them previously…up until now.

Simple solution is probably to rasterize the logo. Font’s can cause no end of problems. More complex solution is to double check the logo has been converted to a path and check to make sure nothing is overlapping and there aren’t a ton of vertices. You could also try re-uploading the design as separate pieces to find out what parts are causing the problem.

Since it has printed this file a number of times previously, it seems logical to upload the design as separate pieces to find out which part is causing the problem. As a physical scientist, I’m going to enjoy the troubleshooting. I guess something beneficial did come out of tonight.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Now to find a temporary solution until the bugs are works out!!

You could post the file and someone could take a look, perhaps.

Not sure what you’re trying to get here - the teal colored light is for when you’re going through setup. The normal “ready to print” light is white.

I’d second the suggestion that you upload the file so someone can look at it.

Also, I had to go through a couple of cycles of turning the machine off, moving the head under the camera and restarting this weekend to get some designs done. I had gotten “sorry” errors or even just a return to the GFUI screen without ever going from Scanning to Preparing to Print.

Yes it was frustrating but it cleared up. I suspect something was wonky with my wifi (my daughter is home and sucking up bandwidth :slight_smile: ).

Try printing one of the stock designs like the ruler or gift of good measure to see if one of those works.

2 Likes

Thanks @anticzcom and all other helpers!

@rmelvin06, I extracted the logs for your Glowforge, and it appears you were trying to engrave shapes that weren’t completely closed.

When you upload a file to the Glowforge app, strokes (or outlines) become cuts and fills (filled-in shapes) become engraves. The print failed here because one or more of the shapes didn’t have a fully enclosed area to engrave.

To print successfully, you have a options:

1. You can create a bitmap copy of your design. Here are instructions on how to do so in Inkscape:
  • Open Inkscape.
  • Go to File > Open and select your fil.e
  • After the file opens, select the artwork you want to turn into a Bitmap. (If you want the different parts of the image to be engraved using different settings, you will need to create a separate raster image for each part.)
  • Choose Edit > Make a Bitmap Copy.
  • Inkscape will make a bitmap copy on top of the original artwork.
  • Click the top artwork to select it, drag it off of the original artwork, and delete the original artwork. You’ll be left with the bitmap copy.
  • Select File > Save As and save the file as an Inkscape SVG file.
  • Upload your file to the app and print.
  1. Alternately, you can find the spot where the path is open and close the path.

Would you let us know if this works, or if you have further questions?

2 Likes

Thanks for assessment however the one file that had the open path was not a part of the issue I had. Actually, the project with the open path printed with the exception of the 1/2" or so that was open. To remedy my problem, I saved the separate pieces in different files and wrapped up the project. Thanks again for he information. I am sure it will come in handy as I learn various aspects of this unit.

I’m glad you found a solution! Let us know if we can help in the future.