Really need a response - Machine Damaged on Arrival

I got my glowforge and it’s a dud. Emailing and waiting for an email response is not good enough. One would think that after 2 1/2 years of waiting, then getting one that will not power on, that one would be able to speak to someone. And, how about some quality control? It would save everyone time and money if these were tested before shipment.

Each and every one is tested before shipment as they build and store calibration data for present and future uses.

4 Likes

They are very quick to replace damaged units. I’m sorry to hear you got hit with one.

1 Like

There is no way my was tested. It would not even start up.

If it is a pro unit, I would check the circuit breaker in back below the switch to insure it is seated properly. There have been cases where it was loose.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard back yet from my emails. I hope what you say is true about quick replacements.

No, not a Pro.

There is a short it it. It is getting power but not running.

Disappointing that your Basic won’t power on, but there have been verified instances when units were damaged in shipment. Every unit is tested – they must be in order to get the calibration data required. All you can do is wait for Support.

2 Likes

We had a master electrician check our outlets just to make sure that our polarity, power, ground, etc. was ok. The unit is a dud.

Not arguing that. It worked at the factory. It failed when you got it. Must have been damaged in transit. QED.

(Or, one-in-a-million chance that the power cord itself is defective. That’s the only component that is probably not tested at the factory. “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”)

4 Likes

As unlikely as it is, the NEMA 5-15P to IEC320C13 cord could be defective… I have seen that on a computer.
@dwardio is too fast for me.

3 Likes

Question, are the units packed with an oil as some kind of moisture barrier?

No. If there is any wet inside, the coolant has leaked, and a replacement will be required.

Ah, that’s the problem then. There was oil all over the inside of the plastic wrapping when it arrived. I photographed it as soon as I opened it before taking it out of the box.

1 Like

Well, unfortunately that is your problem. Support has been stellar with quick replacement. Sorry for the let- down, but it won’t be a long wait.

Send those pictures to Support so they can see what happened and get another machine out to you quickly. (Might as well start packing that one back up.)

I have sent the images. I still have the wrap full of oil/coolant.

1 Like

I’m so sorry that your Glowforge arrived damaged.

Since we’re working with you on this email I’m going to go ahead and close this thread.