Reattaching the Driver Belt

I’m having a very difficult time reattaching the replacement driver belt that was shipped to me. The instructions and other videos I’ve viewed make it seem so simple to “snap” it back in place but I have not been able to after multiple attempts (and more than a few expletives). Are there any tips you can give me? It is possible that the replacement belt is somehow too small? I kind of doubt that but I am growing frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, there’s a little bit of a trick to rolling it on…hold on…I need to see if I can find it.

Yep, here it is…

Study this section of the instructions first:

Then watch the demo below:

5 Likes

You want to let the action of sliding the carriage plate do the work, rather than trying to force it up and onto the pulley. You just need enough fingertip tension/force to keep the belt up against the pulley so it can do its thing.

2 Likes

Just like you used to put your bicycle chain back on.

Or you can use a 3mm Allen wrench to loosen the wheel, it is mounted in a slot. Slip the belt on then with your thumb against the wheel slide it to tension the belt and tighten the wheel mount.
When you get it tightened deflect it by pushing against it mid-span and judge it by feeling the tension on the gantry belts for comparison. It’s not critical, but it needs to be tight.
Using your thumb to push on the wheel you can’t over tension it.

I’ve done it both ways and find the wrench method easiest. That’s just me.

5 Likes

Thank you very much. That video made all the difference.

I can finally get back to creating!!

3 Likes

Thanks. Between the video above and your advice about the carriage doing the work, I was able to get it back on. I really appreciate it!

Thanks. I was able to get it on without loosening the wheel thanks to the above responses, but it’s always good to know about other ways to fix it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am blown away by how quickly everyone responded and got me back up and running. The sign of a great community!

Thanks again everyone. Have a great evening.

10 Likes

Thank you so much for the help, everyone! I’m glad you were able to replace the driver belt, and are back to shipshape. I’ll be closing this thread, so if you have any other questions or concerns, open a new thread of contact us directly at support@glowforge.com.

2 Likes