Recalibrate camera error

I am trying to recalibrate the camera on my Glowforge Pro and it fails at exactly the same point, after printing all symbols and starts measuring.

As the error message states, the wifi signal was not stable enough to complete the process. You can try setting up your Glowforge using your phone as a hotspot and try again.

Just an aside, why are you running the lid camera calibration? Are you having difficulty with alignment or did you recently move your machine?

4 Likes

i’m having a similar problem with it claiming calibration was ‘interrupted’ (although i can be quite assured the machine was not touched, bumped, or otherwise interacted with during said process, and i could see no evidence or notification of wifi being lost)

in my case the machine had been sitting unused for a few years, and i don’t think it had EVER had the calibration (this is an early window pro that has sadly gone idle due to health issues). the view from the lid camera was extremely distorted looking, so i figured: obviously i want to do a calibration to get that as good as i can before i start making parts.

of course the first problem appears to be that i didn’t seem to put the material in the right spot… the test pattern clearly went past the edge of the draftboard, and the material measurement sequence ended up trying to measure the distance between the laser head and the bed of the glowforge underneath the crumb tray.

i’m going to see if i can’t continue without calibration, and if things don’t work out, i’ll try again with another piece of draftboard… hopefully aligned better? it’d probably help if the calibration process provided an indication on if the draftboard was aligned or not at the beginning.

You can reuse your first piece if you cover up the previous marks with masking. Or any other smooth, flat and light colored material without any marks 12”x20” in size. A piece of smooth cardboard works too.

2 Likes

does it need to be a contiguous sheet or can i get away with strips of white(ish) masking tape?

You can probably get away with the strips as long as it’s smooth enough. A lot of us just used a big flat bit of cardboard of the correct dimensions. Flat and correct dimensions are key.

My thoughts on the technical side are that GF probably uses UDP connections which are high speed packet transfers but not completely reliable. Netflix, YT and other streaming sites use this because who cares if a tiny bit of data goes missing in a big ole video stream. But if some of the data goes missing, out of order, or is currupted in a GF data stream, it fails. They should have gone TCP which is slower but does data verification to make sure every data packet gets through in the right order.

2 Likes

that makes sense. on my end, i figured that it probably didn’t help that there was a big cliff in the calibration area, so here’s hoping that a re-run will go better.

I did a calibration on a sheet of cardboard that I cut to 12 x 20 and put masking on. It worked great.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.