Received unit, glass completely shattered

You took the words out of my mouth!!!

I would highly recommend against trying this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why?

How about this scenario: Machine arrives without a laser tube. Should a customer lose two months of warranty waiting for a replacement machine that was not in operating condition when it first arrived?

Did I miss something?

1 Like

I agree. There is no fraud or anything in returning a defective/damaged machine and ordering a new one which will also receive a new warranty.

2 Likes

Timtsuga - Thank you for your comments.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t do hypotheticals. (I’d suggest reading through the Warranty and Terms in order to see why I’m suggesting that might not be a good idea.)

The only person who’d get hurt in that situation is likely the customer. And I don’t want to see that happen.

1 Like

Why would the customer be the one who would get hurt?

I purchased my plus through amazon to retain just this ability (plus both the ability to track delivery and the offer of an extended warranty). I don’t know if either of the two owners in this thread purchased in this manner.

As one of the owners in this thread, I did not purchase thru Amazon. I did not know that there was the ability to purchase an extended warranty thru Amazon. That is good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.

They have the right to refuse to sell to or provide service to anyone. (Trying to screw them over strikes me as being kind of a bad idea.) :slightly_smiling_face:

They’re actually much nicer people than most, so they might not do it. But they have that right.
Everyone should read the Terms of Service and Warranty information before making a purchase like this one.

If you can get an extended warranty through Amazon, or by using American Express (I think they offer one too) that is also a good option. Definitely something to look into if you are that worried that the machine will break down after a while.

2 Likes

@doutt

Washington has the strictest pro-consumer laws in the U.S. The AG is very responsive to consumer issues, concerns and complaints. You may want to contact them to discuss this issue. They are very responsive.

Goodwill is a very important issue and has TREMENDOUS value to companies. Your inquiry may initiate a more reasonable timing of when the Warranty period starts.

However, I suspect GF has talented attorneys and since they are based in WA state, probably are pretty savey about having the Warranty period start at shipping even when the consumer receives a damaged or in-operatable product.

Of course, the AG people are amazingly talented too and insight full about these issues too (we have fabulous public employees in the state of Washington!)

Good luck!

Jules, no one is trying to ‘screw them over’.

Good, I’m glad to hear it. (I’d still advise against trying to return the unit and rebuy it later to get a full warranty. That kind of game has the potential to end badly for the customer.)

I’m giving suggestions for what I would do if I were in a similar situation. Read to see where you stand and what your options are. Just understand your options going in…it makes it easier to make a decision about what to do.

Glowforge is very good about trying to be accommodating…to the extent that they can.

I’m going to speak about the warranties that we handle here now, not the one that Glowforge has, but they should work the same way. We as customers purchase a warranty for a year. That year starts when the machine is delivered, and if we have to make a claim against it, the company is obligated to provide a functional replacement. They are not obligated to extend warranties. If a water heater is sold, and it breaks after six months and has a one year warranty, the part is replaced, but the warranty on the water heater is now six months. If the company has to replace the water heater six times under that original warranty period, they will do so, but the warranty is never extended. Warranties are purchased for a period of time, and then they expire.

Sometimes you can purchase an extended warranty by paying additional money, it’s a form of insurance, but unfortunately, Glowforge doesn’t offer one yet. Sometimes you can get them through credit cards though, so that’s definitely something to check out.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, my replacement unit was a refurb. That was over 2 years ago now. The machine was perfect and seems to have remained so through to the jobs I ran just tonight.

Consider this… There’s really 0 difference in between a “new” unit and a “refurbished” unit in these cases. Just that a part or 2 might have been replaced. Thing is, they’re all tested, personally, prior to shipment. The same flaws can appear in either. Case-in-point, my “brand new” unit didn’t function quite properly. No problem… They sent out another unit. And this one, while being refurbished, was amazing.

So… “new”… “refurb”… They’re just legal terms, really. No implicit quality involved. GO FOR IT! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I get your frustration, but this is the very point of a warranty. It’s to protect the buyer against things that were basically faulty to begin with.

3 Likes

I’m sorry Jules, but you are comparing apples to oranges. If a water heater is sold, and is breaks down 6 months later, and it has a 1 year warranty, then 6 months is left on the warranty. No one is disputing that. No one is asking for the water heater to be replaced 6 times.

However, if a water heater is delivered, and the heating element is broken and beyond repair, and it will take a month to get a new water heater, then what? The average consumer would not expect that a month would be lost from the warranty, as a useable water heater was never delivered.

I understand what you are saying about how GF’s warranty works, but who reads that before they purchase? It is the choice of GF to determine how their warranty will work. However, it is not standard practice for a warranty to work the way theirs does. Normally, one send in a card or register their warranty online upon receiving the item. However, no one would register an item that arrived damaged.

A warranty is not for items that were shipped damaged. That loss on that is on the business. It is the business’s responsibility to see that damaged items are not shipped to the customer, or they are going to be out of business.

Also, a warranty is not for items that are damaged by the carrier. That is what insurance is for.

Okay, I guess you’re right, and I’m wrong.

I’m not saying that. We have a difference of opinion, and we are both expressing our views.

It is the right of the company to determine how their warranty will work. I am not in agreement with how the GF warranty works, as it is a interpretation of a warranty that I have never seen before.

So if that water heater breaks at six months and it takes a month or two to fix or replace do they owe you an additional month(s) of warranty then? I have never heard of a company that keeps extending the warranty period with each service. A warranty is to cover “manufacture defects” and you clearly state this was not damage during delivery from FedEx so its a bit confusing.

1 Like

Can we all take this to the Everything Else area and continue it there? Support is going to have to sift through all of this for @doutt’s support ticket. I would even like to add to the conversation but this is not the place for it.